10 killed, 39 wounded in church bomb attack by IS group in DR Congo
The attack carried out by IS-affiliated Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) targeted a baptism ceremony.
A bomb attack targeting a church in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo kills at least 10 people and wounds 39 others, said the DRC Army Spokesperson Antony Mualushayi.
Congolese Ministry of Communication said the attack carried out on Sunday was claimed by the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF), a group affiliated with the Islamic State (IS) in central Africa.
Read more: 8 children among 9 killed in attack in east DR Congo
Mualushayi added that the "terrorist act" targeted the Pentecostal church in Kasindi of Kivu province, a town bordering Uganda, and that a Kenyan suspect was detained.
On the other hand, Uganda's Army Spokesperson Bilal Katamba stated on Sunday that the bomb attack claimed 16 lives and wounded 20 others.
"The attackers used an IED to carry out the attack and we suspect ADF is behind the attack," Katamba said.
Read more: International calls mount for Congo rebels to cease fire
Despite the DRC's crackdown against the group, which began in late November of 2021, and cross-border backing from Ugandan forces, the ADF's attacks have continued.
120 militant groups operate in Eastern DR Congo, however, the ADF is considered one of the most dangerous and deadliest of them.
ADF has been accused of killing thousands of civilians in the Republic, in addition to bomb attacks in neighboring Uganda.
SITE Intelligence Group, a US NGO that tracks the online activity of militant groups, said the IS-affiliated ADF group claimed responsibility for the IED attack.
According to the site, the armed group said that "nearly 20" individuals were killed in the attack.
The Republic's President condemned the attack, in addition to the UN peacekeeping mission that called it "cowardly and despicable."
Read more: DR Congo, Rwanda approve de-escalation
In later 2021, the DRC carried out a joint military operation with Uganda against the ADF inside the Republic.
Independent experts reported to the UN Security Council (UNSC) that the militant group "continued its geographic expansion" despite the joint operation and claimed the lives of 370 civilians since last April.
The experts warned that ADF is adopting new tactics, which include carrying out "more visible and more lethal" bomb attacks targeting non-rural areas.
In 2021, in an effort to contain the militant group and stop the attacks, DRC's President Felix Tshisekedi declared North Kivu and Ituri under a state of siege, which is similar to a state of emergency.
However, so far the attempt had failed to prevent attacks targeting civilians.