Russia: Reviving the JCPOA Is a Priority
Russia's permanent representative to international organizations, Mikhail Ulyanov, said that drafting and organizing the nuclear agreement required a lot of work and creativity, and stresses that reviving it is a priority.
Russia's permanent representative to international organizations, Mikhail Ulyanov, said in Vienna that reviving the nuclear agreement is a priority.
Ulyanov stressed that "composing the nuclear deal required enormous work and creativity. The JCPOA constituted a major contribution to the nuclear non-proliferation treaty. Its restoration is a priority task.”
Ulyanov had said that "it’s likely that as early as the beginning of August, the US sanctions might be lifted, and Iran will be able to freely trade oil, and not only oil."
He pointed out that 90% has been accomplished regarding the agreement’s revival, yet the remaining 10% contain several politically sensitive issues, courtesy of the US.
Earlier, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov accused the West of trying to exploit the situation around the nuclear deal to change it. “The progress is substantial, but the US’ return to the JCPOA implies a full and unconditional resumption of the deal’s obligations," he said.
For its part, the US State Department said yesterday, Wednesday, that "by returning to the JCPOA, the US will be in a better position to address all of the other challenges Iran imposes.”
The US State Department indicated that "Every challenge we face with Iran is made more difficult, made more intractable when Iran’s nuclear program is uncontrolled."