Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Al Mayadeen's correspondent in South Lebanon: Israeli occupation targets bulldozer working to remove rubble of destroyed home in Shebaa.
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands

An attack on Niger could unleash war across Africa: Bazoum's advisor

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Agencies
  • 9 Aug 2023 22:54
  • 2 Shares
3 Min Read

The ousted President's political aid urges ECOWAS to try and seek a diplomatic approach to settle the situation rather than resort to military action.

  • x
  • An attack on Niger could erupt war across all Africa: Bazoum's advisor
    Nigerien citizens during an anti-France protest denouncing the European country's colonialism against their country in Niamey, Niger, August 3, 2023 (AFP)

An ECOWAS military attack on Niger might bring all of Africa up in flames, the political advisor of ousted Nigerien President Mohamed Bazoum warned on Wednesday.

"I don't think ECOWAS will know the price of this mistake of military intervention in Niger, because if they intervene militarily, it means that all of Africa will be at war," Antinekar Al-Hassan told Sputnik.

 Al-Hassan also claimed that the new leadership in Niger has so far rejected to negotiate.

"There are no negotiations, the [military] junta rejects them," he told the news agency.

Read more: Western intervention in West Africa could soon backfire: UnHerd

Western-backed ECOWAS gave the coup leaders a one-week deadline - which ended last Sunday - to surrender to the bloc's terms or else face a military operation. The delayed action came amid reports of a number of internal hurdles within the countries of the West African bodies - most notably the Senate opposition in Nigeria.

The military governments of Mali and Burkina Faso have previously warned that any attack on Niger would be considered a declaration of war against them.

So far, military interference has not yet been ruled out, as the Western-backed ECOWAS announced on Tuesday that it has the capacity to deploy 25,000 troops in order to invade Niger and reinstate Bazoum back in power.

But ECOWAS and the US toned down their threats to Niger on Tuesday, pushing for a diplomatic solution, however confirming that all options remain on the table.

Read more: Nigeria urges ECOWAS to strive for diplomatic solutions in Niger

France is not leaving

At the moment, France has approximately 1,500 troops positioned in Niger, and French President Emmanuel Macron has taken a strong stance against the coup, saying it is "completely illegitimate and profoundly dangerous, for Nigeriens, for Niger and for the whole region."

Last week, Niger announced that it had annulled a slew of military cooperation agreements with France while an order for French troops to leave the country is anticipated to be issued soon.

"They are not going to leave the country, this is an illegitimate regime," Al-Hassan claimed.

Read more: Niger warns France, accomplices amid destabilizing unilateral actions

In a joint letter dated August 8, former presidents and prime ministers of Niger urged ECOWAS to lift sanctions on the country and resort to diplomatic approaches to resolve the escalating tensions.

"We ... are asking you to lift sanctions against the people of Niger and use diplomatic and political means to find together with the military peaceful and constructive solutions to this serious crisis suffered by our country," the letter read.

The signees include former President Mahamane Ousmane, as well as former prime ministers, such as Seini Oumarou, Mamane Oumarou, Hama Amadou, and Mahamadou Danda.

  • ECOWAS
  • Africa
  • Niger
  • Abdourahmane Tchiani
  • Mohamed Bazoum

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS