Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Al Mayadeen's correspondent in South Lebanon: Israeli occupation targets bulldozer working to remove rubble of destroyed home in Shebaa.
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands

Australia probes claims China recruited ex-air force pilots: Minister

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Agencies
  • 19 Oct 2022 14:26
4 Min Read

The Australian Defense Minister launches an investigation into whether Australian pilots had been recruited by China to train its air force. 

  • x
  • Royal Air Force Typhoon fighter jets arrive in Australia for major training exercise (RAF)
    Royal Air Force Typhoon fighter jets arrive in Australia for a major training exercise (RAF)

Australia launched an investigation Wednesday into what Defense Minister Richard Marles called disturbing reports that China has been hiring retired Western air force pilots to train its military. 

The UK government had earlier announced it would take "decisive steps" to stop Beijing from headhunting former pilots after British media reported that over 30 former pilots had accepted offers upwards of £240,000 ($273,750) to train China's air force. 

"We are taking decisive steps to stop Chinese recruitment schemes attempting to headhunt serving and former UK Armed Forces pilots to train People's Liberation Army personnel," a spokesperson for the British Defense Ministry told AFP. 

Marles announced a probe into whether Australian pilots had also been recruited. 

"When our ADF personnel sign up to the defence force, they do so to serve their country and we are deeply grateful of that," the Australian Defense Minister said in a statement. 

He pointed out that he "would be deeply shocked and disturbed to hear that there were personnel who were being lured by a pay cheque from a foreign state above serving their own country." 

According to the reports, many of the recruited pilots were in their 50s and had recently left the British air force. 

Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesperson, Wang Wenbin, denied any knowledge of British pilots being recruited, telling a regular press briefing that he is "not aware of the circumstances you mentioned."

Marles launched Australia's investigation from Tonga, where he has been attending a meeting of defense ministers from South Pacific nations. 

Truss set to formally designate China as a "threat" to UK

It is noteworthy that The Telegraph reported last Wednesday that UK Prime Minister Liz Truss is set to formally designate China as a "threat" to the UK, marking a major shift in the UK's foreign policy.

While British military personnel frequently take part in training exercises with foreign armies, any collusion by ex-pilots with China -- which the UK has dubbed the "number one threat" to domestic and global security -- poses a serious concern. 

"Confidentiality contracts and non-disclosure agreements" are being reviewed by the British Defense Ministry, which stated that UK public servants, serving or former, are subject to the Official Secrets Act, which forbids them from exposing the country's secrets to foreign states.

UK Armed Forces Minister, James Heappey, told Sky News that "We've approached the people involved and have been clear with them that it's our expectation they would not continue to be part of that organisation."

"We are going to put into law that once people have been given that warning it will become an offence to go forward and continue with that training," he indicated, adding that "China is a competitor that is threatening the UK interest in many places around the world."

Heappey explained that China "is also an important training partner but there is no secret in their attempt to gain access to our secrets, and their recruitment of our pilots in order to understand the capabilities of our air force is clearly a concern to us."

Chinese British relations have been in a downward spiral for several years due to UK's more aggressive policy toward Beijing, most notably on China's internal matters in Hong Kong and Taiwan, in addition to London's fear of Beijing's growing dominance in technology, which was dubbed as as "increasingly urgent problem" by Jeremy Fleming, the director of the GCHQ - the UK's intelligence, security, and cyber agency, who called on Western countries to take action to defend themselves and their values.

  • Beijing
  • China
  • UK
  • United Kingdom
  • Australia

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS