Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Al Mayadeen's correspondent in South Lebanon: Israeli occupation targets bulldozer working to remove rubble of destroyed home in Shebaa.
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands

Australia to appoint special advisor on Gaza aid staff deaths probe

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Agencies
  • 7 Apr 2024 06:59
3 Min Read

Australia's FM says her country wants detailed answers as to how aid workers from the World Central Kitchen were killed by Israeli forces last Monday.

  • x
  • Australia to appoint special advisor on Gaza aid staff deaths probe
    People inspect the site where World Central Kitchen workers were killed in an Israeli air strike in Deir al-Balah, Gaza Strip, Tuesday, April 2, 2024. (AP Photo/Abdel Kareem Hana)

Australia has said it will appoint a special advisor to work with "Israel" to ensure "transparency" in an investigation into an Israeli air strike on Gaza that killed seven aid workers, including an Australian.

Foreign Minister Penny Wong said Australia wants detailed answers as to how aid workers from the US-based World Central Kitchen were killed by Israeli forces last Monday.

The group included 43-year-old Australian national Lalzawmi "Zomi" Frankcom, as well as British, Palestinian, Polish, and US-Canadian employees.

Wong told reporters Saturday that information about the strike provided so far by "Israel" was not sufficient and that the Australian government wants its own "suitably qualified person" to monitor the investigation.

"The government will appoint a special adviser who we have requested the Israelis work with so we can be advised about the appropriateness of the process," Wong said.

"We want to have full confidence in the transparency and accountability of any investigation."

The Israeli occupation military said it fired two officers over the killing of the aid workers in Gaza.

Wong said details of the special advisor will be announced in the "very near future".

On Wednesday, Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese demanded "full accountability" for the killing of Frankcom, during a telephone call with Israeli occupation Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

Albanese said the attack on WCK would only add to international concerns over "the extraordinary loss of life" in the Gaza Strip.

He said that he "conveyed to Prime Minister Netanyahu in very clear terms that Australians were outraged by this death, by this tragedy, of this fine Australian."

"I expressed Australia’s anger and concern at the death of Zomi Frankcom," Albanese said. 

Meanwhile, Netanyahu issued a public comment, stating that such incidents happened in times of war. According to Albanese, the Israeli premier "did accept responsibility" for the events.

"We need to have accountability for how it has occurred, and what is not good enough is the statements that have been made, including that this is just a product of war," the Australian Prime Minister stressed.

"This is against humanitarian law – international humanitarian law makes it very clear that aid workers should be able to provide that aid and that assistance free of the threat of losing their life," he added.

Read more: UK shocked by Gaza bloodshed, appalled by killing of aid staff: Sunak

  • Gaza Strip
  • war on Gaza
  • Palestine
  • Israeli aggression
  • IOF
  • WCK
  • Israel
  • Penny Wong
  • Israeli occupation
  • Australia
  • world central kitchen
  • Gaza

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS