Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands
Sheikh Qassem: The agreement came because we held fast, empowered by our vision, our faith, our will, our people, our patriotism, and our unwavering attachment to our land

Azerbaijan re-blocks crucial road into Nagorno-Karabakh

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: News Websites
  • 11 Jul 2023 21:15
2 Min Read

The Azerbaijani authorities add that the border crossing will be closed until the criminal investigation into a smuggling claims is completed.

  • x
  • Azerbaijani servicemen stand guard at a checkpoint at the Lachin corridor, the Armenian-populated breakaway Nagorno-Karabakh region’s only land link with Armenia, in 2022 (AFP)
    Azerbaijani servicemen stand guard at a checkpoint at the Lachin corridor in 2022 (AFP)

After Armenia accused Azerbaijan of blocking access to Nagorno-Karabakh, the latter announced on Tuesday that road traffic on the sole road linking Armenia and Nagorno-Karabakh has been suspended. 

In a statement, the Azerbaijani border guards said, "Crossing via the Lachin border post is temporarily suspended," further alleging that the Armenian Red Cross abused the checkpoint for multiple "smuggling attempts", which the organization denied, insisting that no unauthorized material had been found in its vehicles.

“The ICRC is aware of concerns raised about the transport of unauthorized goods across the Lachin corridor and does not support any such activity,” the Geneva-based organization said in a statement.

“No unauthorized material has been found in any vehicle belonging to ICRC. All cargo is subject to customs checks by the Republic of Azerbaijan.

The Azerbaijani authorities added that the border crossing will be closed until the criminal investigation into the smuggling claims is completed.

Since December, Armenia has consistently accused Azerbaijan of blocking supplies to the Nagorno-Karabakh region and of creating a humanitarian crisis by blocking the Lachin corridor.

Read next: Armenian PM accuses Baku of conducting policy of ethnic cleansing

Back in February, the top UN court, which rules on international disputes, stated that Baku failed to demonstrate that landmines purportedly planted by Yerevan particularly targeted Azerbaijanis and ordered Azerbaijan to open the road after blocking it.

Armenia and Azerbaijan fought two conflicts over the Armenian-populated area of Nagorno-Karabakh, one in 2020 and one in the 1990s, and now are quarreling over the corridor.

Six weeks of violence in the autumn of 2020 claimed over 6,500 lives and ended with a ceasefire accord sponsored by Russia. Russia sent 2,000 peacekeepers to monitor the truce, but tensions remain despite a ceasefire deal.

Nevertheless, Kremlin Spokesperson Dmitry Peskov stressed earlier that there is "no alternative" to the ceasefire deal his country brokered in 2020, while Russia's Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov added that the Russian peacekeeping units were "clearly fulfilling its tasks" despite operating in "very difficult conditions."

Read more: Four Armenian servicemen killed by Azerbaijani shelling

  • Azerbaijan
  • Russia
  • Armenia
  • Nagorno-Karabakh
  • Lachin corridor

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS