Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Al Mayadeen's correspondent in South Lebanon: Israeli occupation targets bulldozer working to remove rubble of destroyed home in Shebaa.
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands

Belgium found guilty of crimes against humanity in colonial Congo

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: News websites
  • 2 Dec 2024 23:15
  • 1 Shares
3 Min Read

Belgium's court of appeals has found the state guilty of crimes against humanity for forcibly separating five mixed-race children from their mothers in colonial Congo, awarding each woman €50,000 in damages

Listen
  • x
  • Marie-Jose Loshi, Monique Bitu Bingi, Lea Tavares Mujinga, Simone Ngalula, and Noelle Verbeeken speak with each other as they look over papers in Brussels, Belgium on June 29, 202. (AP)
    Marie-Jose Loshi, Monique Bitu Bingi, Lea Tavares Mujinga, Simone Ngalula, and Noelle Verbeeken speak with each other as they look over papers in Brussels, Belgium on June 29, 2024. (AP)

The Belgian state has been found guilty of crimes against humanity for forcibly separating five mixed-race children from their mothers in colonial Congo.

Belgium's court of appeals ruled Monday that five women, born in the Belgian Congo and now in their 70s, were victims of "systematic kidnapping" by the state when they were removed from their mothers as small children and sent to Catholic institutions due to their mixed-race heritage.

"This is a victory and a historic judgment," Michèle Hirsch, one of the women's lawyers, told local reporters. "It is the first time in Belgium and probably in Europe that a court has condemned the Belgian colonial state for crimes against humanity."

Monique Bitu Bingi, who was separated from her mother at the age of three, told The Guardian that justice had been served and expressed relief that the judges "recognized that this was a crime against humanity."

She was informed of the decision with the four other ladies who brought the lawsuit to their lawyer's office. "We jumped for joy," she explained.

Noëlle Verbeken, who was abducted from her mother and sent 500 km away, told Belgium's francophone public network RTBF that this decision shows "we are recognized."

Léa Tavares Mujinga, Simone Ngalula, Marie-José Loshi, Bitu-Bingi, and Verbeken, all born to Congolese mothers and European fathers, were forcibly taken from their families by the Belgian colonial administration between 1948 and 1953 due to their mixed-race heritage and relocated to a Catholic mission in southern Kasaï.

After losing a case in 2021, the five women appealed, challenging the lower court's ruling that their abduction and segregation were not considered crimes under colonial law.

Treated as 'children of sin'

The court of appeals rejected Belgium's defense, noting its commitment to the Nuremberg tribunal legislation and the concept of crimes against humanity. The court ordered Belgium to pay €50,000 in damages to each of the women for the emotional distress caused by their forced separation from their families and loss of identity.

Thousands of children were affected by Belgium's program of forced removals and segregation in its former colonies, though the exact number remains unclear.

The girls, sent to the Katende mission, were registered as "mulattoes," their fathers' names erased or incorrectly listed, and were given new surnames and forged birth dates. At the mission, they were treated as "children of sin" and two were eventually raped during the civil war.

Four of the women eventually gained Belgian citizenship after lengthy legal battles, while Marie-José Loshi, who never received Belgian nationality, moved to France and became a citizen. The court ruled that their struggles with gaining citizenship and official recognition were not crimes against humanity, offering some relief to the Belgian authorities.

In 2018, Belgian Prime Minister Charles Michel apologized for the mistreatment of mixed-race children, acknowledging a violation of their human rights. The government created a body to help individuals trace their roots and is investigating the full extent of those affected by the policy, though the available records are incomplete.

  • Racism
  • colonial reparations
  • Colonialism
  • Belgium
  • Congo
  • war crimes

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS