Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Al Mayadeen's correspondent in South Lebanon: Israeli occupation targets bulldozer working to remove rubble of destroyed home in Shebaa.
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands

Canada to send lethal aid to Ukraine, Hungary rejects transit

  • By Al Mayadeen Net
  • Source: Agencies
  • 28 Feb 2022 20:26
  • 3 Shares
3 Min Read

While Canada, among many other countries, keeps sending lethal weapons to Ukraine, Hungary does not want to be involved.

  • x
  • Ukrainian soldier
    Ukrainian soldier

Canada’s Foreign Ministry announced on Monday that Canada is sending an extra $20 million in military aid to Ukraine in response to Russia’s special operation there.

In a statement, Global Affairs Canada said, "Melanie Joly, Minister of Foreign Affairs, and Anita Anand, Minister of National Defence, announced that Canada will be sending an additional C$25M [US$20 million] ]in military aid to support Ukraine in its efforts to retain sovereignty, territorial integrity and independence."

The aids will consist of tools such as helmets, body armor, gas masks, and night vision gear, as per the statement.

The Canadian Armed Forces will also be sending two tactical transport jets and a crew of 40-50 soldiers to monitor the delivery process through NATO in Europe, the statement said.

Previously, the Canadian government had sent batches of lethal military aid to Ukraine amid tensions with Russia.

The UK follows suit

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson told Ukraine's Volodymyr Zelensky during a phone conversation today, Monday, that the UK would send more military support to Ukraine "in the coming hours and days," Downing Street stated.

"The Prime Minister updated President Zelensky on UK military support being sent to Ukraine, and committed to sending more in the coming hours and days," the readout of Johnson’s call with Zelensky said.

Hungary rules out transit

As for Hungary, it will not permit the transit of lethal weapons to Ukraine through its lands, for the purpose of ensuring the security of the country and citizens, Foreign Minister Peter Szijjarto said on Monday.

"We will not allow deliveries of lethal weapons to transit the territory of Hungary... The reason for making this decision is that such deliveries might become targets of hostile military action, and I want to underline again that we have to ensure security of Hungary and the Hungarian people and ensure that we are not getting involved in that war," Szijjarto said in a Facebook post on his account.

Hungary will not send troops or weapons to #Ukraine and will not allow lethal weapons to transit its territory in order to keep the country safe: FM Peter Szijjarto

— Apex (@Apex_WW) February 28, 2022

It is true that Hungary contributed to activating the European peace system, Szijjarto continued, but it made it clear that the country will not be sending troops or arms to Ukraine, as Budapest does not want to be involved in the war.

Last Thursday, Russia launched a special operation to demilitarize and "denazify" Ukraine, in response to requests from the Donetsk and Lugansk people's republics for assistance in combating Ukrainian troops' aggression. The special operation is only targeting Ukrainian military facilities, according to the Russian Defense Ministry, and the civilian population is not at risk. Moscow has stated that it has no intention of occupying Ukraine.

  • Nato
  • Ukraine
  • Russia
  • Hungary
  • Canada
  • Josep Borrell
  • Lethal weapons
  • UK
  • Volodymyr Zelensky

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS