Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Al Mayadeen's correspondent in South Lebanon: Israeli occupation targets bulldozer working to remove rubble of destroyed home in Shebaa.
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands

Captive negotiations 'ongoing', Israelis impeding progress: Qatar

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Financial Times
  • 30 Oct 2023 17:17
  • 2 Shares
3 Min Read

A Qatari source warns that there were no longer signs of an encroaching breakthrough.

  • x
  • US Secretary of State Antony Blinken (L) meets with Qatar's Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani in Lusail on October 13, 2023 (AFP)
    US Secretary of State Antony Blinken (L) meets with Qatar's Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani in Lusail on October 13, 2023. (AFP)

According to a Qatari official, indirect negotiations brokered by Doha for the release of captives seized by Hamas were "ongoing", but the intended ground invasion by "Israel" is impeding the process, according to the Financial Times.

"They are still talking. They are listening," a source knowledgeable on the talks said, adding: "Of course, it’s not the same pace as it was on Thursday and Friday, but the talks haven’t stopped."

However, the source warned that there were no longer signs of an encroaching breakthrough after three sources briefed on the negotiations claimed last week that negotiators were positive of being on the brink of an agreement.

The intended ground invasion has increased concerns among captives’ families about their fates.

Read more: Saudi Arabia's Defense Minister to travel to US for Gaza talks

US National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan said yesterday that "a humanitarian pause would be a good thing to get hostages out, but you can bet that Hamas will try to use that time to their advantage as well", telling CBS, "These are . . . the hard questions that we are trying to pose to Israel as it works to prosecute a campaign against Hamas."

Terms and conditions apply

An unnamed Western diplomat, according to the Financial Times, said "there were high expectations" of a closing deal last week, "the parameters were there, but the devil was in the details because there’s no trust between Hamas and Israel".

Hamas' offer, per a senior official from the Resistance, was that foreigners would be exchanged for a five-day ceasefire, in addition to the UN-supervised delivery of food, fuel and medicine to Gaza’s hospitals.

Nonetheless, additional conditions would apply to free Israeli captives, including the transfer of the wounded to Egypt for treatment via the Rafah border crossing, alongside the release of Palestinian women and children from the Occupation's prisons. Israeli IOF soldiers in captivity would be reserved for a "prisoner swap" further down the line.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu met the families of the captives on Saturday, vowing to "exercise and exhaust every possibility to bring them home", as they relayed to him that their "unequivocal demand [was] that military action takes into account the fate of the hostages and missing."

Qatar's Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, Mohammed bin Abdulaziz Al-Khulaifi, who is also a senior negotiator, revealed earlier on Thursday that Qatar has undertaken a  "very, very difficult negotiation" between Hamas and "Israel," adding that "the violence increases every day and with the bombing continuous every day, our task has become even more difficult."

"If the mediator wants to perform its task in the best way possible as a state, then we need to reach a period of calm," he said.

Read more: How 'Israel' likely killed its own settlers on October 7: The Grayzone

The Qatari diplomat also emphasized that "any escalation whatsoever is going to make our job really harder. Any escalation whatsoever. So we're trying to send those messages to our partners and friends," reaffirming that "We need to reach a period where we can speak logically to both sides and come up with positive initiatives."

  • United States
  • Operation Al-Aqsa Flood
  • Palestine
  • Al-Aqsa Flood
  • Israel
  • Qatar

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS