Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Al Mayadeen's correspondent in South Lebanon: Israeli occupation targets bulldozer working to remove rubble of destroyed home in Shebaa.
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands

Captives' families accuse Ben Gvir of obstructing prisoner exchange

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Al Mayadeen English
  • 13 Aug 2024 21:36
  • 2 Shares
3 Min Read

The families of Israeli captives held in Gaza have responded to Ben Gvir's remarks supporting the prolongation of the war, accusing him of endangering the lives of the captives.

Listen
  • x
  • Israeli Police Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir talks to reporters ahead of the weekly cabinet meeting at the prime minister's office in Jerusalem, Sunday, March 19, 2023. (AP)
    Israeli Police Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir talks to reporters ahead of the weekly cabinet meeting at the prime minister's office in Jerusalem, Sunday, March 19, 2023. (AP)

The Hostages and Missing Families Forum responded to Police Minister Itamar Ben Gvir's remarks made at the Al-Aqsa mosque courtyards, saying he was, once again, obstructing a prisoner exchange deal. 

A statement released by the forum stated that "the actions and words of Ben Gvir are exposing the Israeli hostages to danger, and ruining the chances of bringing them all home."

The forum further affirmed that the abandonment of the Israeli captives began on October 7 and has not ceased since, adding that "Israel will not possess any pride, resilience, or victory, until the last hostage is returned from the Gaza Strip, and anything that says otherwise is only empty words and the continuation of the abandonment of the hostages." 

Earlier this morning, Ben Gvir said "Israel" must "triumph" in its war on Gaza and refused to attend summits and negotiations in Doha and Cairo for the return of Israeli captives. 

He added that "Israel must defeat Gaza". 

In turn, Knesset member and opposition leader Benny Gantz urged Netanyahu to seize Ben Gvir's authority instead of merely condemning his actions and statements. 

Two days ago, Haaretz considered the emergency summit that will be held on Thursday to be Netanyahu's final call to lead a prisoner exchange deal, establish a ceasefire agreement, and mitigate the risk of a regional war. 

Hamas calls for implementing July agreement instead of new talks

On the other hand, Hamas called on the mediators in Qatar and Egypt to present a plan for implementing the ceasefire agreement the movement approved on July 2 and compel "Israel" to comply with it instead of engaging in new rounds of negotiations.

In response to the trilateral [US, Egypt, Qatar] statement, Hamas affirmed on Saturday that since the onset of the Israeli aggression on Gaza, it has been committed to supporting the mediation efforts led by Egypt and Qatar to secure a ceasefire and end the ongoing genocide against the Palestinian people and has consistently backed any initiative that aims to halt the aggression.

It confirmed that it has engaged in numerous negotiation rounds and demonstrated all necessary flexibility and positivity to achieve the goals and interests of the Palestinian people, halt the bloodshed, and end the genocide.

According to the statement, these efforts were intended to pave the way for a prisoner exchange, provide much-needed relief to the Palestinian people, facilitate the return of displaced persons, and rebuild the destruction caused by the aggression on the Gaza Strip.

However, Hamas pointed out that the Israeli occupation met this approach with rejection, continuing its massacres against the Palestinian people and reiterating its stance that it was not serious about a permanent ceasefire, with its aggressive actions standing as clear evidence of this.

  • war on Gaza
  • Israel
  • ceasefire
  • Benjamin Netanyahu
  • Itamar Ben-Gvir
  • Hamas
  • Israeli captives

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS