Car bomb in southeast Turkey injuries 8 police officers: Sources
Turkish Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu says as quoted by Reuters that two people had been arrested and were believed to be the perpetrators of the explosion.
Security sources reported that eight Turkish police officers were hurt on Friday after a bomb went off in a roadside vehicle while their minibus was traveling on a highway in the province of Diyarbakir in the country's southeast.
Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu said as quoted by Reuters that two people had been arrested and were believed to be the perpetrators of the explosion.
"There was an explosion in a parked vehicle at 05:10 a.m. (0210 GMT) as a police vehicle was going to work in Diyarbakir," he said.
Furthermore, the governor's office in Diyarbakir reported that no one had been seriously injured by the explosion, but nine people who had been in the armored minibus were transported to the hospital for examinations.
The explosion happened close to a cattle market around 10 kilometers (6 miles) south of Diyarbakir, the major city in the area, as per local sources.
It is worth noting that there was no immediate claim of responsibility.
Last month, a strong explosion was heard in a busy area in the heart of Istanbul. At the time, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan announced that the explosion in Istanbul left six people dead and 53 injured. Turkey blamed Kurdish militants, although no group took responsibility for the explosion.
Simultaneously, the SDF and PKK say they have nothing to do with the Istanbul bombing after Ankara blamed the PKK for carrying out the attack.