Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands
Sheikh Qassem: The agreement came because we held fast, empowered by our vision, our faith, our will, our people, our patriotism, and our unwavering attachment to our land

Colombia suspends ceasefire with ELN rebel group

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Agencies
  • 5 Jan 2023 09:26
  • 2 Shares
2 Min Read

The Colombian government announces the suspension of a ceasefire with the armed group National Liberation Army (ELN), which rejected any such agreement.

  • x
  • Colombian Ministry of the Interior Alfonso Prada (Reuters)
    Colombian Ministry of the Interior Alfonso Prada (Reuters)

Colombia called off a ceasefire with the National Liberation Army (ELN) rebels on Wednesday, after the group declared its rejection of any such ceasefire with the government.

Colombian President Gustavo Petro said on New Year's Eve that a temporary truce had been reached with the country's five main armed factions, including the ELN that would last from January 1 until June 30.

The administration later stated that the international community-lauded truce will be supervised by the UN, Colombia's human rights ombudsman, and the Catholic Church.

"Under this understanding, the Colombian government declared the bilateral ceasefire," Interior Minister Alfonso Prada told journalists, adding, "In view of the position taken yesterday (by the ELN), advising that a ceasefire agreement should be taken up at the negotiating table, we have decided to suspend the Dec 31, 2022 decree and address it in the next round of talks."

"El Gobierno de Colombia decretó el cese bilateral. Sin embargo, ante la posición asumida públicamente el día de ayer por el ELN, hemos decidido suspender los efectos jurídicos del Decreto 2657 del 31 de diciembre del 2022": Ministro @alfonsoprada. pic.twitter.com/BN6U8DprIh

— Presidencia Colombia 🇨🇴 (@infopresidencia) January 4, 2023

"Only when we have the conditions of the protocols totally agreed can we lift the suspension," he said.

Prada said the government's initial ceasefire announcement came following a request by the National Liberation Army in December after the group agreed to abide by a unilateral ceasefire from December 24 to January 2 in the holiday season.

"We invite this organization to declare a verifiable truce in response to the imperative call of ethnic and peasant communities to maintain a bilateral ceasefire and non-violence in their territories," he added.

Elsewhere in his remarks, Interior Minister Alfonso Prada stated that ceasefires remained in effect with the other four groups: FARC dissidents known as the Estado Mayor Central, Segunda Marquetalia, the Clan del Golfo, and the Sierra Nevada Self-Defenses.

Since taking office in 2022, Petro, Colombia's first left-wing President, proposed a "comprehensive peace" policy that includes the country's various armed factions to end more than 50 years of fighting that has killed millions of people.

Petro's government stated that it will negotiate peace treaties or surrender arrangements with armed factions of all stripes.

  • Colombia
  • ELN armed group
  • ceasefire
  • Gustavo Petro

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS