Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Al Mayadeen's correspondent in South Lebanon: Israeli occupation targets bulldozer working to remove rubble of destroyed home in Shebaa.
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands

Congress blasts ‘unconstitutional’ US strikes on Yemen

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: News websites
  • 13 Jan 2024 13:56
  • 2 Shares
4 Min Read

US lawmakers accuse the Biden administration of breaching the US Consitution by attacking Yemen.

  • x
  • President Joe Biden speaks at a campaign event at Montgomery County Community College in Blue Bell, Pa., Friday, Jan. 5, 2024. (AP)
    President Joe Biden speaks at a campaign event at Montgomery County Community College in Blue Bell, Pennsylvania, Friday, January 5, 2024. (AP)

US lawmakers have criticized the Biden administration's decision to launch attacks on Yemen's Ansar Allah resistance movement without seeking congressional approval, contending that the strikes breached the US Constitution.

"This is an unacceptable violation of the constitution," said Congresswoman Pramila Jayapal, a Washington Democrat and the chair of the Progressive Caucus. "Article 1 requires that military action be authorized by Congress."

Biden "is violating Article I of the Constitution by carrying out airstrikes in Yemen without congressional approval. The American people are tired of endless war," Rashida Tlaib, the sole Palestinian-American member of US Congress, said on X.

.@POTUS is violating Article I of the Constitution by carrying out airstrikes in Yemen without congressional approval. The American people are tired of endless war.

— Congresswoman Rashida Tlaib (@RepRashida) January 12, 2024

President Joe Biden notified Congress on Thursday but chose not to seek its approval before declaring that a series of air and naval strikes had been launched on more than a dozen sites in Yemen by the United States and the United Kingdom.

Biden must engage with Congress

Backed by a coalition comprising Australia, Bahrain, Canada, and the Netherlands, the airstrikes led by the US faced swift condemnations from lawmakers. They contended that the Constitution was violated, asserting that the air strikes were carried out without seeking congressional approval, marking a breach of protocol by Biden.

"The United States cannot risk getting entangled into another decades-long conflict without congressional authorization," a Wisconsin Democrat, Mark Pocan wrote on X, calling on Biden to engage with Congress "before continuing these airstrikes in Yemen."

Biden "can’t launch airstrikes in Yemen without congressional approval", said Congresswoman Cori Bush on X, adding that "The people do not want more of our taxpayer dollars going to endless war and the killing of civilians. Stop the bombing and do better by us."

.@POTUS can’t launch airstrikes in Yemen without congressional approval.

This is illegal and violates Article I of the Constitution.

The people do not want more of our taxpayer dollars going to endless war and the killing of civilians. Stop the bombing and do better by us. https://t.co/PFYYoknib6

— Congresswoman Cori Bush (@RepCori) January 12, 2024

While the authorization is exclusively granted to Congress, past presidents have frequently carried out military strikes in West Asia without seeking approval from the legislative branch.

Some legislators opposed to the airstrikes have previously supported bills seeking to end policies that give the president broad powers to engage in overseas warfare. This was particularly evident during Donald Trump's administration when lawmakers passed a War Powers resolution specifically addressing Yemen.

"The United States has been involved in hostilities in Yemen, in one form or another, for over 5 years now. The sad reality is Congress frequently refuses to assert its authority," US representative Thomas Massie wrote on X.

The United States has been involved in hostilities in Yemen, in one form or another, for over 5 years now. The sad reality is Congress frequently refuses to assert its authority.

Twice under Paul Ryan, the War Powers Act w.r.t. Yemen was subverted through parliamentary tricks. https://t.co/kAdi3WjmEt

— Thomas Massie (@RepThomasMassie) January 12, 2024

'Standing up for Article 1'

Meanwhile, Ro Khanna, a progressive from California who has been at the forefront of bipartisan efforts to reassert congressional control over the United States' foreign wars, also referenced Article 1 and pledged to "stand up for that regardless of whether a Democrat or Republican is in the White House."

Amid a deluge of tweets and criticisms from lawmakers, a 2020 post by Biden has resurfaced, wherein Biden criticized former US President Donald Trump when he brought Washington to the brink of war with Tehran by ordering the assassination of Iran’s top anti-terror commander, General Qassem Soleimani.

On January 6, 2020, Biden wrote: "Donald Trump does not have the authority to take us into war with Iran without Congressional approval. A president should never take this nation to war without the informed consent of the American people."

Let's be clear: Donald Trump does not have the authority to take us into war with Iran without Congressional approval. A president should never take this nation to war without the informed consent of the American people.

— Joe Biden (@JoeBiden) January 6, 2020

Michael Maloof, a former senior security policy analyst at the Pentagon, expressed concern that the Biden administration's choice to launch an attack on Yemen has placed the US in a precarious situation.

According to Maloof, this decision increases the risk of the US getting involved in a war, emphasizing that such actions could embolden "Israel" and encourage an escalation of the ongoing war in the Gaza Strip, adding that "What could stop it is if the US stops all of its exports of munitions to "Israel" at this point, because otherwise, you’re just feeding it, you’re feeding the fire here."

For months, high-ranking US officials have asserted that Biden is not inclined to witness the Israeli war on the Gaza Strip transform into a broader West Asian war. However, critics argue that with Thursday's lethal airstrikes, the US and the UK have demonstrated to the world their commitment to supporting the Israeli occupation's campaign in Gaza.

  • United States
  • Congress
  • Yemen
  • Joe Biden

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS