Egypt voices concern over ongoing violence on Syria coast
Egypt’s Foreign Ministry reaffirmed its support for Syria’s stability, national institutions, and security, voicing concern over the escalating violence.
-
Members of the Syrian government security forces deploy at a street in Damascus, Syria, Thursday, March 6, 2025 (AP)
Egypt voiced deep concern on Friday over the recent clashes in Syria’s Latakia province, which resulted in dozens of casualties and injuries.
In an official statement, Egypt’s Foreign Ministry reaffirmed its support for Syria’s stability, national institutions, and security, while rejecting any actions that threaten the safety of the Syrian people.
The ministry stressed the need to combat all forms of violence and called for prioritizing Syria’s national interests to navigate the country's ongoing transitional phase.
The statement also urged the launch of an inclusive political transition process that ensures the participation of all Syrians, safeguarding the rights of all sects in the country.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights earlier reported that more than 70 people were killed on Thursday night in clashes between security forces and armed groups in western Latakia.
Dozens killed, wounded
The Britain-based war monitor reported Friday that at least 147 people had been killed since the fighting erupted Thursday, marking the fiercest challenge to the new authorities since the toppling of the Assad regime in December.
The executions took place in the towns of al-Shir and al-Mukhtariya in the Latakia countryside. Verified videos and testimonies from relatives of the deceased confirmed the killings, the Observatory said.
Footage released by activists and the Observatory showed dozens of civilian-clothed bodies piled in a yard, with bloodstains visible and women wailing nearby. Another video depicted armed men ordering three individuals to crawl on the ground before executing them at close range. A third clip showed a soldier shooting a man in the doorway of a building.
A source in Syria’s Interior Ministry, quoted by state news agency SANA, acknowledged the so-called “individual violations” but pledged to end them. "After remnants of the toppled regime assassinated security personnel, unorganized masses responded, leading to violations," the source stated. "We are working to stop these acts, which do not represent the Syrian people as a whole."
Curfews imposed in several areas
Following Thursday’s clashes—which left 78 dead, including 37 security personnel, 34 gunmen, and seven civilians—the new authorities imposed curfews in Latakia, Tartus, and Homs, three regions with significant Alawite populations. Security forces launched a crackdown targeting “remnants of Assad’s militias and their supporters,” an official cited by SANA said.
One key operation took place in Qardaha, al-Assad’s hometown, where new authorities claimed they had detained General Ibrahim Huweija. In Jableh, another coastal town, a large-scale security sweep was underway, according to defense ministry spokesman Colonel Hassan Abdulghani, with several videos of summary executions surfacing online.
Local residents described an atmosphere of fear and uncertainty. “All night, we heard gunfire and explosions,” said Ali, a farmer in Jableh. "Everyone's afraid... we're trapped at home and can’t go out."
Tensions escalated after gunmen loyal to former Assad-era special forces commander Suhail al-Hassan clashed with security forces in Beit Ana. When security personnel attempted to arrest a suspected arms dealer, they met resistance from local residents, leading to heavy fighting. In response, security forces conducted helicopter strikes, triggering protests from Alawite community leaders who condemned the attacks on civilian homes.