Energodar official: Russia repelled Ukrainian attack against ZNPP
Ukrainian forces attempt an attack against the Zaporozhye nuclear power plant shortly after IAEA chief Rafael Grossi left, with six experts remaining on site to depart at various times.
Member of the administration of Energodar, Vladimir Rogov, claimed that Ukrainian forces launched another raid, using several speedboats, against the Russian-held Energodar town shortly after midnight on Saturday. The Russian Defense Ministry, however, has so far not made any official statement referencing the incident.
According to Rogov, multiple sabotage groups utilized at least 15 speedboats to attempt to traverse the Kakhovka Reservoir, purportedly seeking to dock in three distinct locations: the nuclear city of Energodar itself, the surrounding villages of Vasilyevka and Dneproprudnoye.
Around midnight, the initial unconfirmed reports of numerous speedboats leaving the Ukrainian-controlled portion of the reservoir's coast surfaced, along with claims of renewed Energodar bombardment. Russian soldiers allegedly deployed Ka-52 attack helicopters and effectively repulsed the intended assault after receiving and confirming information on the swarm of boats, Rogov stated in a follow-up Telegram statement at about 2:45 am.
He noted that the Russian Defense Ministry is anticipated to release further information about the engagement soon.
The latest purported failed Ukrainian operation came barely two days after Kiev forces reportedly attempted to take the Zaporozhye NPP shortly before a team of International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) specialists, including the organization's chief, Rafael Grossi, arrived at the facility for an inspection. According to the Russian military, the unsuccessful September 1 operation aimed at seizing the nuclear plant and using UN nuclear watchdog personnel as "human shields" to sustain control over the facility.
The latest attacks occurred after the main IAEA delegation left, despite Grossi's claim that six of the agency's specialists remained in Energodar. Four of them will return after the weekend, while two will remain at the ZNPP to maintain a "permanent presence."
Energodar and the Zaporozhye plant have been under Russian control since early March and had operated without interruption until July when drone and artillery assaults began. According to Russian Defense Minister Sergey Shoigu, 29 strikes on the Zaporozhye complex have taken place since July 18, including 120 artillery shells and 16 kamikaze drones.
Ukraine said on Friday it had bombed a Russian base in the town of Energodar, near the Zaporozhye nuclear power plant (NPP) which is being assessed by United Nations inspectors due to safety concerns.
"Targeted strikes by our troops in the localities of Energodar and Kherson have destroyed three artillery systems of the enemy as well as an ammunition depot," the Ukrainian army said.
Moscow has repeatedly denied the allegations, claiming that the site was merely guarded by lightly armed soldiers.
Read more: Former French minister calls out Zelensky's propaganda campaign