Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Al-Houthi: We find ourselves in the most sacred battle and the greatest position. We do not consider the sacrifices to be wasted losses; rather, we have given everything for the sake of this stance.
Al-Houthi: The Zionist scheme is undoubtedly a plot to enslave and exploit this nation. This is a fact, not an exaggeration.
Al-Houthi: Great sacrifice in the path of God only increases our steadfastness, determination, certainty, resilience, and cohesion.
Al-Houthi: The Zionist crime confirms the importance of Yemen's conscious and insightful position based on constants, values, and human ethics.
Al-Houthi: The Israeli enemy is a criminal who proves its brutality and monstrosity through all its criminal practices, void of any controls.
Al-Houthi: The Israeli enemy's record is one of terrible and horrific crimes, full of bloodshed against the Palestinian people and people in Lebanon, Syria, Iraq, and Iran.
Al-Houthi: The crime of targeting ministers and civilian workers adds to the Israeli enemy's criminal record in the region.
Al-Houthi: All of the martyrs were ministers working in civilian fields.
Sayyed Abdul Malik al-Houthi: We extend our sincerest condolences to all the martyrs' families, their loved ones, their colleagues, and our dear people.
Al Mayadeen's correspondent: An Israeli drone targeted a residential apartment in the al-Natour Square in the Sheikh Radwan neighborhood of Gaza City

Ex-German soldiers jailed over attempts to send mercenaries to Yemen

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Agencies
  • 24 Oct 2022 21:32
2 Min Read

A German court sentences two former soldiers to prison due to their attempts to form a group of mercenaries to fight in Yemen.

  • x
  • Soldiers in the German Army attend a military parade ceremony marking the 99th anniversary of the Lithuanian military on Armed Forces Day, Vilnius, Lithuania, November 24, 2017 (AP Photo)
    Soldiers in the German Army attend a military parade ceremony marking the 99th anniversary of the Lithuanian military on Armed Forces Day, Vilnius, Lithuania, November 24, 2017 (AP Photo)

Two former German soldiers were sentenced to prison on Monday for trying to form a group of mercenaries to send to Yemen and fight alongside to "pacify" the war.

"The two men, aged 61 and 53, were sentenced to 18 months and 14 months in prison, respectively," the Stuttgart court said.

Though the court did not mention the criminals in its statement, it had previously identified the detainees as Arend-Adolphe Grass and Achim Allweyer.

The two had their sentences reduced because they had already served 10 months in detention awaiting trial, with the court saying that their admission of guilt and absence of a criminal record went in their favor.

The two former paratroopers in the German armed forces were detained in October 2021 when they were occupied with establishing a paramilitary group composed mainly of former police officers or soldiers, the federal prosecutor's office in Karlsruhe, competent for terrorism cases, said at the time.

Related News

YAF chief warns 'Israel': 'You have opened the gates of hell'

UN special envoy to Yemen urges halt to Israeli aggressions

The court said the pair had "allowed themselves to be influenced by ideas tainted by Christian fundamentalism as well as by the predictions of a Turkish astrologer."

Allweyer and Grass attempted to create their terrorist organization after receiving "messages from a psychic which they understood as binding instructions to act", prosecutors have said.

The two claimed that they wanted to "pacify the civil war zone" and force peace talks between warring parties.

The accused were intending to offer the mercenaries €40,000 per month, with Allweyer having tried, in vain, to establish a channel of communication with Saudi government officials in the hope of funding the project, according to the prosecution.

Eventually, they wanted to offer the services of their "private military company" in other conflicts.

They had contacted seven possible contractors at the time that the two former employees of the private military company Asgaard were caught.

German media revealed in 2020 that Asgaard was the hub of a vast far-right network, which inflicted quite the damage on the private military company.

  • Ansar Allah
  • Germany
  • Yemen
  • Saudi Arabia

Most Read

Fierce resistance ambushes target IOF in Gaza Strip

Fierce resistance ambushes target IOF in al-Zaytoun, Gaza City

  • Politics
  • 30 Aug 2025
Tom Barrack's imperial tantrum in Beirut: When entitlement speaks (Photo by Mahdi Rtail)

Tom Barrack's imperial tantrum in Beirut: When entitlement speaks

  • Politics
  • 26 Aug 2025
Although it does seem likely they will launch some kind of operation in northern Gaza, one which will accelerate its mass murder of civilians, but will fail to achieve its stated objectives. (Al Mayadeen English; Illustrated by Batoul Chamas)

Here is why the Israeli occupation of Gaza won’t work

  • Opinion
  • 26 Aug 2025
A scene showing an al-Qassam Brigades fighter during an ambush on July 7, 2025, in a video released by the al-Qassam Brigades on August 26, 2025 (al-Qassam Brigades Military Media)

Al-Qassam reveals Beit Hanoun ambush targeting Israeli forces

  • Politics
  • 26 Aug 2025

Coverage

All
The Ummah's Martyrs

Read Next

All
'Gideon’s Chariots' Op. deemed a failure by Israeli military report
Palestine

'Gideon’s Chariots' Op. deemed a failure by Israeli military report

Smokes rise to the sky following an Israeli airstrike in the northern Gaza Strip as seen from southern occupied Palestine, Monday, Aug. 25, 2025. (AP)
Politics

US revives Gaza ethnic cleansing plans for 'gleaming tourism resorts'

Ansar Allah leader Sayyed Abdul Malik al-Houthi gives a speech on August 31, 2025 (Screengrab)
Politics

Israeli crimes prove brutality, Yemen undeterred: Sayyed Al-Houthi

Major General Abdolrahim Mousavi, Chairman of the Chiefs of Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces. (IRNA)
Politics

Iran's top general says air defenses must adapt to new threats

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS