Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands
Sheikh Qassem: The agreement came because we held fast, empowered by our vision, our faith, our will, our people, our patriotism, and our unwavering attachment to our land

FBI violated privacy of millions of Americans last year: WSJ

  • By Al Mayadeen Net
  • Source: Wall Street Journal
  • 30 Apr 2022 00:00
  • 3 Shares
3 Min Read

The Federal Bureau of Investigation was found to have violated the constitutional privacy rights of US Americans by conducting millions of searches on their data.

  • x
  • Illustration by Alex Castro (The Verge)
    Illustration by Alex Castro (The Verge)

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) performed last year potentially millions of searches of US electronic data without a warrant, US intelligence officials said Friday.

This would constitute a violation of the privacy of US citizens and likely fan the flames of concerns over government surveillance and the privacy of citizens.

The findings were published by the Office of the Director of National Intelligence in an annual report that disclosed that the FBI conducted some 3.4 million searches of US data that had been previously collected by the National Security Agency.

It could not be tallied how many Americans' data was examined by the FBI under the program, though officials claimed that the number was "almost certainly" much smaller.

Washington disclosing these searches marks the first time a US intelligence agency has published a tally of the FBI's searching of American data using a section of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act.

The 3.4 million figure "is certainly a large number," a senior FBI official said in a press briefing Friday on the report. "I am not going to pretend that it isn't."

The Russians had something to do with it, obviously

The FBI, following in the same footsteps of the privacy violations that followed the 9/11 attacks - section 702 of FISA - had to cast the blame on someone when these figures were disclosed, and this time, it was "Russian hackers" that posed the "national security threat."

The FBI had previously been under fire for the means by which authorities utilized Section 702 data. That backlash included a rebuke from the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court in 2018 after the body found that searches conducted by the US agency violated the privacy rights of Americans sponsored by the constitution.

More than half of the reported searches, senior US officials claimed, were related to an investigation into a national security threat that involved alleged attempts by "Russian hackers" to hack critical US infrastructure. Those same officials boldly claimed that the searches included efforts to identify and protect potential victims of the alleged Russian cyberwarfare campaign.

They declined to give more details on the "Russian threat", as the US has done before when putting up a facade, including whether the campaign was related to Moscow itself or illegal hacking groups, though the Russian government has repeatedly denied being behind such attacks on the United States.

The information searched included but was not limited to citizens' names, phone numbers, email addresses, and social security numbers. The privacy violated is that of US citizens, lawful permanent residents on US soil, and US companies, and it can also contain metadata and content of private communications.

The FBI conducted approximately 3.39 million searches using the identity of a presumed US person from Dec. 1, 2020, to Nov. 30, 2021, according to the report. The number of searches for the previous 12-month period was about 1.3 million, the Wall Street Journal reported.

The report also revealed four instances last year which saw the FBI undermining the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court by not seeking its approval before performing a search and looking at the content of US communications that were produced.

  • United States
  • Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court
  • 9/11 attack
  • 9/11
  • FBI

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS