Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Al Mayadeen's correspondent in South Lebanon: Israeli occupation targets bulldozer working to remove rubble of destroyed home in Shebaa.
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands

Guterres laments largest loss of UN personnel in its history

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: News websites
  • 30 Nov 2023 12:03
  • 1 Shares
3 Min Read

The UN chief confirms that nowhere is safe in Gaza as most Gazans are forced out of their homes due to the genocide "Israel" is committing.

  • x
  • UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres addresses the 78th session of the United Nations General Assembly, Sept. 19, 2023 (AP)
    UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres addresses the 78th session of the United Nations General Assembly, Sept. 19, 2023 (AP)

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres revealed that 80% of Palestinians in Gaza have been forced to leave their homes following the brutal Israeli aggression on the Strip, Sputnik reported. 

"Beyond the many civilians killed and wounded, that I have spoken of, 80% of Gaza’s people have now been forced from their homes," Guterres told a UN Security Council meeting on Palestine on Wednesday.

He emphasized that nowhere is safe, including southern Gaza, where Palestinians are fleeing, despite being told by the Israelis that it is a "safe route".

He went on to highlight the insufficient aid being allowed into Gaza, saying, "The level of aid to Palestinians in Gaza remains completely inadequate to meet the huge needs of more than two million people. Although the total volume of fuel allowed into Gaza has also increased, it remains utterly insufficient to sustain basic operations".

Guterres then reminded the council of the 111 lives lost that belonged to the UN family, saying that this represents the "largest loss of personnel in the history of our organization."

Read more: Palestinians living 'one of the darkest chapters' of their history: UN

'Israel' kills UN officers, demands more support from Guterres

Earlier last week, the UN Secretary-General stated that a UN protectorate in Gaza would not resolve the struggle there. Instead, he called for a "transition period" involving Arab nations and the United States and leading to a "two-state solution".

Antonio Guterres emphasized the significance of turning this tragedy into an opportunity, advocating for a decisive and irreversible transition toward a "two-state solution". He advocated for a "multi-stakeholder approach" in which the US serves as the "primary guarantor" of Israeli security while emphasizing the "essential" role of Arab nations in supporting Palestinians.

"Everybody needs to come together to create the conditions for the transition, allow wing for a strengthened Palestinian Authority to assume responsibilities in Gaza," and from there to a "two-state solution", he said. Guterres again denounced the killing of civilians -- especially children -- in Gaza as the occupation continues a relentless air and ground aggression on Gaza.

Because of Guterres' humanitarian position, Israeli Foreign Minister Eli Cohen said he is unsuitable to head the global body having failed to condemn Hamas and being "too close to Iran."

Cohen, during a press brief in Geneva, criticized the UN for not "standing with Israel" although it was the UN that mourned over 100 of its staff that "Israel" killed in the Strip.

"Guterres does not deserve to be the head of the United Nations," said Cohen, adding, "I think that Guterres like all the free nations should say clearly and loudly: free Gaza from Hamas. Everyone said Hamas is worse than ISIS. Why can he not say it?"

This came as the UN Secretary-General repeatedly called for a ceasefire in Gaza, lamenting the massive loss of civilian lives.

Read more: Israeli FM annuls UN chief meeting over Palestinian suffering comment

  • Gaza Strip
  • Operation Al-Aqsa Flood
  • Palestine
  • UN
  • Israeli aggression
  • Israel
  • United Nations
  • Israeli occupation
  • Antonio Guterres
  • Gaza

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS