Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Al Mayadeen's correspondent in South Lebanon: Israeli occupation targets bulldozer working to remove rubble of destroyed home in Shebaa.
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands

Israeli FM annuls UN chief meeting over Palestinian suffering comment

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Agencies
  • 24 Oct 2023 21:16
2 Min Read

Cohen said there is no place for a "balanced approach" in the region since the launch of operation Al-Aqsa Flood. 

  • x
  • - Israeli Foreign Minister Eli Cohen is pictured in Ankara, Turkey, February 14, 2023. (AP Photo/Burhan Ozbilici, File)
    - Israeli Foreign Minister Eli Cohen is pictured in Ankara, Turkey, February 14, 2023. (AP Photo/Burhan Ozbilici, File)

Just as the United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres concluded a statement before the UN Security Council, during which he said that the operations carried out by the Palestinian Resistance did not take place "in a vacuum," Israeli Foreign Minister Eli Cohen announced that he annulled his meeting with Guterres. 

According to a post FM Cohen wrote on the social media platform X, the meeting had been annulled, as he argues there is no place for a "balanced approach" in the region since Operation Al-Aqsa Flood was launched. 

I will not meet with the UN Secretary-General. After the October 7th massacre, there is no place for a balanced approach. Hamas must be erased off the face of the planet!

— אלי כהן | Eli Cohen (@elicoh1) October 24, 2023

Earlier today, Guterres conveyed to the 15-member Security Council that he was "deeply concerned about the clear violations of international humanitarian law that we are witnessing in Gaza" and that "at a crucial moment like this, it is vital to be clear on principles - starting with the fundamental principle of respecting and protecting civilians."

"It is important to also recognize the attack by Hamas did not happen in a vacuum. The Palestinian people have been subjected to 56 years of suffocating occupation," the UN chief added.

However, Guterres said that Palestinian grievances cannot justify resistance operations by Hamas and that these operations cannot justify the collective punishment of the Palestinian people. 

Read more: We don't want war with Lebanon: Israeli President

UN agencies say they pleaded "on our knees" for unhindered access to Gaza, claiming that current supplies were insufficient to maintain the Palestinian people following two weeks of Israeli air attacks.

Since "Israel" imposed a full siege on the strip, relentlessly bombarding it, U.N. organizations have made more urgent calls for help.

After strenuous diplomatic efforts, trucks of assistance began arriving in Gaza from Egypt on Saturday, but humanitarian groups warn they are far from sufficient. Half of the strip's 2.3 million residents are homeless, many have been injured, and food and clean water are scarce.

Jeremy Laurence, Spokesperson for the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), stated the aid was " a mere drop in the ocean of what is needed."

  • war on Gaza
  • United Nations
  • Antonio Guterres
  • Hamas
  • Eli Cohen

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS