Guterres speaks to Sudan rivals as UNSC 'follows situation closely'
This comes after Swiss Ambassador to the United Nations Pascale Baeriswyl confirmed that the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) continues to "follow closely" the situation.
UN Spokesperson Stephane Dujarric confirmed on Monday that UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has spoken to both Sudanese rival generals over the phone "at different times" and that "he will do whatever needs to be done."
He added that Guterres has the phone "glued to his ear" amid warnings that more than 800,000 people could flee fighting in Sudan, where gun battles and explosions again shook the capital in violation of the latest truce agreed between the warring generals.
This comes as gun battles and explosions rocked again Sudan's capital after the sixth truce was also violated.
Swiss Ambassador to the United Nations Pascale Baeriswyl also confirmed on Monday that the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) continues to "follow closely" the situations in all of Sudan, Ukraine, and Afghanistan.
Read more: Sudanese say no to fishy Israeli 'mediation'
During a press conference, she said, "The Security Council must, of course, pay full attention to conflict and crisis around the world and be ready to convene, discuss and act where necessary. We will continue to follow closely the crisis in Sudan, the situation in Afghanistan, in Ukraine, and of course, all other parts of the world."
UNHCR, with governments and partners, is preparing for the possibility that over 800,000 people may flee the fighting in Sudan for neighbouring countries.— Filippo Grandi (@FilippoGrandi) May 1, 2023
We hope it doesn’t come to that, but if violence doesn’t stop we will see more people forced to flee Sudan seeking safety.
According to Baeriswyl, Swiss Foreign Minister Ignazio Cassis is scheduled to host a debate under the United Nations peacebuilding and sustaining peace agenda on May 3. "Changing security challenges require fresh thinking."
So far, White House National Security Council Strategic Communications Coordinator John Kirby stated during a press briefing on Monday that almost 1,000 US citizens have been evacuated from Sudan by the United States.
“The Department of State reports that the US government has assisted in the departure of nearly 1,000 American citizens since the beginning of the crisis,” Kirby said, adding that the number includes the departure of American citizens over the weekend through US convoys to the Port of Sudan.
Read next: Hamdok: Civil war in Sudan 'would be a nightmare for the world'
The Biden administration continues to facilitate departures for Americans who want to leave, according to the coordinator.
This follows after Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator, Martin Griffiths, met with leaders on Monday, calling the situation "catastrophic" over Twitter.
My message to the parties is unequivocal: Protect civilians and civilian infrastructure. Ensure safe passage for civilians fleeing areas of hostilities. Respect humanitarian workers and assets. Facilitate relief operations. Respect medical personnel, transport and facilities.— Martin Griffiths (@UNReliefChief) May 1, 2023