Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands
Sheikh Qassem: The agreement came because we held fast, empowered by our vision, our faith, our will, our people, our patriotism, and our unwavering attachment to our land
Sheikh Qassem: People of Might Battle was a confrontation by a modest force, incomparable to the enemy's strength, but it was noble in spirit, brimming with courage, resolve, and unwavering faith in victory
Sheikh Qassem: Today, Lebanon is under an Israeli aerial occupation
Sheikh Qassem: The project of "Israel" came crashing into the defenses of the People of Might Battle

Hamas ready to begin talks on second phase of ceasefire

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: AFP
  • 3 Feb 2025 18:05
  • 1 Shares
3 Min Read

Palestinian Resistance faction Hamas says it is ready to commence the second phase of ceasefire talks after the conclusion of the first.

Listen
  • x
  • A freed Palestinian prisoner is greeted by a crowd as he arrives in the Gaza Strip after being released from an Israeli prison following a ceasefire agreement between Hamas and the Israeli occupation in Khan Younis, Saturday, Feb. 1, 2025 (AP)
    A freed Palestinian prisoner is greeted by a crowd as he arrives in the Gaza Strip after being released from an Israeli prison following a ceasefire agreement between Hamas and the Israeli occupation in Khan Younis, Saturday, February 1, 2025. (AP)

Hamas has expressed its readiness to begin negotiations on the second phase of the ongoing truce in Gaza, two officials from the Palestinian group told AFP on Monday.

"Hamas has informed the mediators, during ongoing communications and meetings held with Egyptian mediators last week in Cairo, that we are ready to start the negotiations for the second phase," one official stated, speaking on condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the talks.

The official called on mediators to "ensure that the occupation adheres to the agreement and does not stall." A second Hamas official added that the group was "waiting for the mediators to initiate the next round" of discussions.

Under the terms of the ceasefire agreement between Hamas and the Israeli occupation—whose first phase took effect on January 19—indirect negotiations for the next stage were set to begin Monday.

The initial 42-day phase includes the release of 33 Israeli captives in exchange for approximately 1,900 Palestinian prisoners held in Israeli jails. The second phase is expected to focus on securing the release of the remaining captives and discussing a more permanent resolution to the war.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office confirmed that he would begin discussions on the second phase with US President Donald Trump's Middle East envoy, Steve Witkoff, on Monday. Netanyahu, currently in Washington, is scheduled to meet Trump on Tuesday.

The meeting could have significant consequences for the ceasefire in Gaza, with Netanyahu eager to understand Trump’s stance on the second phase of the ceasefire deal. This phase may involve a permanent ceasefire and the complete withdrawal of Israeli forces from Gaza.

Before proceeding with any decisions, Netanyahu intends to gauge Trump’s position on the deal. The start of negotiations with Hamas, initially scheduled for Monday, may be postponed, as Netanyahu has chosen to first consult with Trump, according to unnamed Israeli officials.

If Netanyahu opts not to pursue the second phase, the conflict in Gaza could continue for "up to another year" as the Israeli occupation "seeks to completely dismantle Hamas," officials said.

Second phase of Gaza deal will be in our favor: Senior Hamas official

Hamas' representative in Lebanon, Ahmad Abdel Hadi, told Al Mayadeen on Saturday that negotiations regarding the second phase of the prisoner exchange and ceasefire in Gaza "will be difficult, but the atmosphere is in our favor."

Abdel Hadi indicated that the Israeli officers and soldiers held captive by the Palestinian Resistance in Gaza are a negotiating chip for it.

The senior Hamas official affirmed that the outcomes of the second phase of negotiations "will be more favorable for the Resistance," explaining that "the current atmosphere is more positive than before, which strengthens the Resistance’s position."

"All circumstances and contexts indicate that the ceasefire agreement will continue," even though the Israeli occupation will raise the bar and introduce new conditions, he noted.

In the same context, Abdel Hadi asserted, "There is no indication that the agreement will collapse," noting that Trump approved the agreement as part of a strategic vision for his new administration.

  • Palestine
  • Israel
  • Israeli occupation
  • Hamas
  • Occupied Palestine

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
A boy tries to stand near missiles displayed in the National Aerospace Park of the Revolutionary Guard, just outside Tehran, Iran, Thursday, Nov. 13, 2025 (AP)

Key Israeli sites destroyed, nuclear docs moved to Tehran: Minister

  • Politics
  • 22 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
National Guard are seen after reports of two National Guard soldiers shot near the White House in Washington, Wednesday, November 26, 2025. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)
Politics

NG shooting suspect belonged to CIA 'Zero Units' in Afghanistan

This satellite image taken by Airbus DS shows objects on the ground at the Saudi Maternity Hospital in el-Fasher, Sudan (AP)
Politics

Inside the RSF’s brutal campaign against El Fasher’s healthcare

Lebanon urges UN action as 'Israel' builds new walls inside its border
Politics

Lebanon files UN complaint over Israeli concrete walls inside border

UN slams 'Israel' over Gaza torture reports, urges full investigation
Politics

UN slams 'Israel' over Gaza torture reports, urges full investigation

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS