Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands
Sheikh Qassem: The agreement came because we held fast, empowered by our vision, our faith, our will, our people, our patriotism, and our unwavering attachment to our land

India, China Army Talks to Ease Border Tensions Fail

  • By alMayadeen Net
  • Source: Agencies
  • 11 Oct 2021 15:05
3 Min Read

China and India engaged in talks regarding the strategically important Galwan River valley, yet no progress was made.

  • x
  • Chinese Indian Borders (AFP)
    Chinese Indian Borders (AFP)

On Monday, Indian and Chinese army commanders held talks to disengage troops from key friction areas along their border. These talks have ended in a stalemate following a 17-month standoff that has, on some occasions, led to bloody clashes, according to AP.

Because of the ongoing standoff, the two countries would keep troops in Ladakh's forward areas for a second consecutive winter in extremely cold temperatures.

After a two-month break, the leaders of both forces finally met

In a statement, India's Defense Ministry said it made "constructive recommendations," but China was "unwilling" and "could not make any forward-looking solutions." However, "the Indian side sticks to unreasonable and unrealistic demands, adding difficulties to the negotiations," a Chinese military official said in a statement.

After a two-month interval, the leaders of the 2 forces met for discussions on Sunday in Moldo, China's Ladakh region.

Both India and China withdrew soldiers from some of the sites where tensions occurred on the northern and southern banks of the Pangong Tso, Gogra, and the Galwan Valley since February. However, both kept extra troops on standby as part of a multi-tier deployment.

Chinese military source: The Indian side is entirely responsible 

Last week, Indian media reported that some Chinese soldiers were detained for a few hours after a minor skirmish near Yangtse in Arunachal Pradesh's Tawang sector.

"Face-offs occurred due to differing perception due to the delineated boundary," one insider told The Hindu.

For its part, Chinese state media has refuted allegations that the Indian army was holding Chinese border personnel, but has alleged that a routine patrol was "unreasonably obstructed" late last month.

The Line of Actual Control (LAC) separates the two sides, although they have been unable to agree on its exact limits.

According to the South China Morning Post citing China Daily, the Indian side "deliberately provoked and smeared [the Chinese side], and seriously violated the bilateral agreement," said a Chinese military source.

“The responsibility rests entirely with the Indian side,” the military source said. “The Indian side should earnestly comply with bilateral agreements, strictly control and restrain its frontline troops, and work with the Chinese military to maintain peace and stability in the border area," according to the same report. 

20 Indian and 4 Chinese soldiers were killed in clashes last year

Last year, the armed forces of the two countries engaged in an extended standoff in Ladakh, thousands of kilometers to the west. Clubs, bats, and stones have been used as weapons in the clash. 

20 Indian and 4 Chinese soldiers were killed in a skirmish in the Galwan Valley in June, the South China Morning Post reported.

  • India
  • China
  • Indo-chinese border
  • clashes

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS