Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Al Mayadeen's correspondent in South Lebanon: Israeli occupation targets bulldozer working to remove rubble of destroyed home in Shebaa.
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands

India taking part in Vostok 2022, US expresses concern

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Agencies
  • 1 Sep 2022 21:40
3 Min Read

The Indian Foreign Ministry spokesperson says that India has been involved in multilateral military exercises in Russia on a regular basis and there will be only army participation in the Vostok exercises this year.

  • x
  • India taking part in Vostok 2022, US expresses concern
    In this handout photo released by Russian Defense Ministry Press Service, Chinese troops march during the Vostok 2022 military exercise at a firing range in Russia's Far East, Wednesday, Aug. 31, 2022 (Vadim Savitsky/Russian Defense Ministry Press Service via AP)

India has been regularly taking part in multilateral military exercises in Russia, Arindam Bagchi, the Indian foreign ministry spokesman, said on Thursday.    

Earlier on Thursday, the US expressed concern about India's reported involvement in the Vostok exercises. At the same time, Karine Jean-Pierre, the White House spokeswoman, said that the final decision on participation in such events remains with the countries.  

"The United States has concerns about any country exercising with Moscow while Russia wages an unprovoked, brutal war against Ukraine. But, of course, every participating country will make its own decisions. And I’ll leave it at that," said Jean-Pierre when asked about the Biden administration's reaction to New Delhi's decision considering that India is a partner of the United States and Asia. 

Answering the question on the Vostok 2022 multilateral drills, the Indian spokesperson said that "India has been regularly participating in multilateral exercises in Russia along with a number of other countries."

"I understand there will be only army participation in the Vostok exercises this year," Bagchi added, answering about the Indian navy's participation in the Vostok 2022 in the Far East.    

1/2

Report:

Some exclusive visual of Indian contingent at the opening ceremony of the Strategic command and staff exercise "Vostok-2022" held in Russia #Vostok2022 pic.twitter.com/PYU3FLD1pL

— OsintTv📺 (@OsintTv) August 31, 2022

The strategic Vostok-2022 military exercises will take place in Russia's Eastern Military District from September 1-7. The drills will involve members of the Collective Security Treaty Organization and the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation, as well as other partner states. Over 50,000 people, and more than 5,000 units of weapons and military equipment, including 140 aircraft, 60 warships, boats, and support vessels will be involved in the maneuvers.

The grand opening of the Vostok-2022 strategic military exercises took place at the Sergeevsky training ground in Russia's Primorsky Region on Wednesday, the Russian Defense Ministry said.

Representatives of Azerbaijan, Algeria, Armenia, Belarus, India, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, China, Laos, Mongolia, Nicaragua, Syria, and Tajikistan also delivered welcoming speeches, after which servicemen of the countries participating in the drills marched solemnly.

A look back

In August of last year, Russia and China conducted joint military exercises in north-central China which included over 10,000 troops. Sergei Shoigu, Russia's defense minister, hailed the Sibu/Cooperation-2021 drills in China's Ningxia and suggested they be expanded.

Russia and China conducted joint naval exercises in the Sea of Japan in October. After a few days, Russian and Chinese warships conducted their first joint patrols in the western Pacific.

Shortly before the war in Ukraine, Beijing and Moscow announced a "no limits" partnership, despite the US failed attempts to push China to join US-led sanctions against Russia right after the start of the war.

It is worth noting that the eastern military district of Russia includes a portion of Siberia and is headquartered in Khabarovsk, near the Chinese border.

  • United States
  • Russia
  • India
  • military drills
  • Vostok exercises

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS