Iran says US letter opened new window for diplomacy
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi underlines that his country had responded to the United States' letter on its nuclear program.
-
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi speaks in a joint press briefing with then-Syrian counterpart Bassam Sabbagh, in Tehran, Iran, Tuesday, November 19, 2024 (AP)
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi stated on Friday that the US message to Iran "has opened a window for diplomacy, and we have not closed any doors to diplomacy, nor will we."
In an interview with Tasnim news agency, Araghchi noted that "the contradictory statements from the other side (the United States) make us carefully and skeptically examine any request." He emphasized that "any diplomatic opening is observed with distrust."
He further explained that "the Americans wrote a letter, which was thoroughly examined and discussed in Iran. Its dimensions were analyzed, as it contained a threat, and an appropriate response was prepared."
The Iranian foreign minister highlighted that "Oman was chosen to deliver Iran’s response to the US due to its previous role in this field and because we trust its goodwill." He also recalled that "Oman previously played a mediating role in negotiations during the tenure of the martyred President Raisi."
Iran delivers response to US
On Wednesday, Araghchi announced that Iran had delivered its response to US President Donald Trump's message through Oman.
Meanwhile, in remarks to Al Mayadeen, Iranian Defense Minister Aziz Nasirzadeh stated that "surrender has no place in our approach, and enemies should not take risks; otherwise, they will receive an appropriate response." He affirmed that "victory is undoubtedly the ultimate outcome of the path of resistance."
The correspondence, which Trump announced on March 7, was sent to Ayatollah Sayyed Ali Khamenei amid the administration's continued "maximum pressure" campaign on Iran while also expressing an interest in negotiations.
Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baqhaei clarified that Tehran has no plans to make the letter public, noting that media speculation does not necessarily reflect its content.
"Iran's response to this correspondence will be made" through diplomatic channels after a thorough review, he said.