Israeli cabinet to meet, decide on firing of Shin Bet chief on Tuesday
The decision to move up the government meeting is reportedly aimed at quelling protests expected to take place on Wednesday.
-
Mossad intelligence agency chief David Barnea and Ronen Bar chief of the domestic Shin Bet security agency, attend a ceremony marking Israeli Memorial Day at the Mount Herzl military cemetery in occupied al-Quds, Monday, May 13, 2024 (AP)
The Israeli government is set to convene tomorrow to approve the dismissal of Shin Bet chief Ronen Bar, according to Israeli media outlet Ynet. The leading candidate to replace him is "M," a senior intelligence official who has been involved in ceasefire negotiations.
Reports indicate that since "M" served as deputy head of Shin Bet during the events of October 7, an internal review was conducted to assess his role and the extent of his responsibility.
The decision to move up the government meeting is reportedly aimed at quelling protests expected to take place on Wednesday. The Israeli government has been facing increasing domestic pressure over security failures leading up to and following the October 7 attack.
The anticipated appointment of a new Shin Bet chief comes amid broader political tensions, with divisions over the handling of the war in Gaza and negotiations with Hamas.
Ynet reported on Sunday that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has decided to dismiss Shin Bet chief Ronen Bar, summoning him to inform him of the decision.
Dismissal postponed
In a video statement, Netanyahu said, "I have decided to propose to the government the dismissal of Shin Bet Director Ronen Bar," adding, "At all times, and especially during an existential war like this, there must be complete trust between the prime minister and the head of Shin Bet."
“Unfortunately, the opposite is true—I no longer have that trust,” he stressed.
According to "Israel's" Channel 12, the government is set to review the proposal on Wednesday.
The Prime Minister's Office stated that the matter will be put to a vote in the cabinet meeting this week, effectively bringing Bar's tenure at the Internal Security Service to an end. Sources within the Prime Minister's Office indicated that Netanyahu had urged Bar to step down voluntarily, but after he refused, the prime minister opted for dismissal.
Bar, who previously acknowledged the shortcomings of Shin Bet in the lead-up to the October 7 operation, had expressed his intention to remain in office at least until May. He has been advocating for an independent commission of inquiry to investigate the failures of the leadership, the Israeli Occupation Force (IOF), and security agencies—a move Netanyahu has strongly opposed.
In a recorded statement, Netanyahu said that over time, he had "increasingly lost confidence" in Bar, stressing that maintaining trust in the head of the security service is crucial during wartime. However, the decision to remove Bar may be challenged in court due to concerns over a potential conflict of interest.
Internal tensions rise
Tensions have risen between Netanyahu and the Shin Bet following the agency’s internal investigation into the October 7, 2023 events. Netanyahu dismissed the investigation’s conclusions, stating they didn’t address key questions.
The report’s findings led opposition leaders Yair Lapid and Benny Gantz to demand an apology from Netanyahu, accusing him of shifting blame. Lapid criticized Netanyahu’s decision as “shameful” on X, accusing the prime minister of “losing his nerve and eroding values,” while alleging that he prioritizes personal interests over national security efforts to maintain power.
“All his slander and attempts to shift blame won’t help—he’s the primary one responsible for the Oct. 7 disaster,” Lapid said, vowing to challenge the move in the Supreme Court.
Moreover, several military and intelligence officials have resigned over the failures of October 7, yet Netanyahu refuses to take accountability.
Channel 12 reported that the government's legal advisor, Gali Baharav-Miara, requested a meeting with Netanyahu to discuss the dismissal. Meanwhile, Yair Golan, head of the opposition Democrats party, called it a “war on Israel” on X, accusing Netanyahu of trying to silence investigators looking into his circle.