Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands
Sheikh Qassem: The agreement came because we held fast, empowered by our vision, our faith, our will, our people, our patriotism, and our unwavering attachment to our land
Sheikh Qassem: People of Might Battle was a confrontation by a modest force, incomparable to the enemy's strength, but it was noble in spirit, brimming with courage, resolve, and unwavering faith in victory
Sheikh Qassem: Today, Lebanon is under an Israeli aerial occupation
Sheikh Qassem: The project of "Israel" came crashing into the defenses of the People of Might Battle

Israeli ministers set date for northern settlers' return, vow benefits

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Israeli media
  • 5 Jan 2025 17:47
  • 2 Shares
4 Min Read

The truce agreement with Lebanon includes a 60-day timeline, raising doubts about long-term security and stability in the region.

Listen
  • x
  • A settler checks a damaged house that was hit by a rocket fired from Lebanon, in the Kibbutz Manara, northern occupied Palestine, Thursday, Nov. 28, 2024. (AP Photo/Leo Correa)
    A settler checks a damaged house that was hit by a rocket fired from Lebanon, in the Kibbutz Manara, northern occupied Palestine, Thursday, November 28, 2024. (AP)

Israeli Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich and MK Ze'ev Elkin on Sunday announced that March 1 had been designated as the target date for northern settlers to return to their settlements, following months of fleeing due to the recent war on Lebanon.

The announcement, made during a press conference, comes amid growing concerns about the state of the North and its readiness to welcome back its settlers.

The return is coupled with a series of financial benefits to be offered to northern settlers who return.

According to the two ministers, the program depends on security assessments, which, according to them, may change. Current assessments are that settlers may begin their return in March.

"The key to returning home is security and we are not going to compromise on this matter," said Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich. "Residents of the North are returning to a different security reality, and we will make sure that quiet is maintained for years."

Smotrich did not elaborate but said that Israelis should wait "15 days", which is the date US Trump takes office, in order to understand what these assessments were based on. Smotrich hinted that Israeli occupation forces may remain in South Lebanon despite "Israel’s" commitment to remove its troops by January 27 as part of the 60-day truce agreement with Hezbollah.

According to the compensation plan, northern settlers who return to their settlements starting in March will receive grants of NIS 25,360 per adult and NIS 12,680 per child.

Evacuated settlers will be entitled to two separate grants. The first will assist with their return to their settlements and the second is intended to compensate returnees for the damage caused to their housing units that was not compensated by property tax authorities.

Challenges to return

Meanwhile, Israeli media have highlighted significant hurdles to resettlement. A survey published on Friday by the initiative "Heading North" revealed that 93% of young Israelis displaced during the war have no plans to return, citing fear and uncertainty about the post-ceasefire period.

The truce agreement with Lebanon includes a 60-day timeline, raising doubts about long-term security and stability in the region.

The damages to northern settlements are staggering, with direct costs estimated at 5 billion shekels and indirect damages reaching up to 4 billion shekels. Thousands of housing units, factories, and public infrastructure were heavily damaged, alongside critical systems like electricity and water.

Read more: 'Blood of northern settlers on Netanyahu's hands,' Israelis cry

Ceasefire agreement under fire

Former Israeli Navy commander Major General Eliezer "Chayni" Marom criticized the ceasefire, suggesting it was rushed under US pressure and left "Israel" at a disadvantage. He argued that the agreement should have focused on enforcing UN Resolution 1701, which calls for a buffer zone to limit Hezbollah's movement.

Marom stated, "We agreed to a bad agreement, which sets timelines for the Israeli army's withdrawal from Lebanon" and warned of the challenges this poses for ensuring long-term security in the North.

Settler distrust, uncertainty

Many settlers express a lack of confidence in the IOF's ability to secure the North. Israeli Channel 12 reported that settlers are hesitant to return due to the extensive damage and Hezbollah's ongoing presence in southern Lebanon.

A political commentator on Kan Channel noted the absence of a buffer zone in the agreement, arguing that it is essential for the safety of settlers.

Read more: Settlers won't immediately return to the North: Israeli media

The situation remains dire for northern communities, as both logistical challenges and security concerns hinder efforts to resettle the area.

  • Israeli Settlers
  • Northern Palestine
  • Israel
  • Lebanon

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
A boy tries to stand near missiles displayed in the National Aerospace Park of the Revolutionary Guard, just outside Tehran, Iran, Thursday, Nov. 13, 2025 (AP)

Key Israeli sites destroyed, nuclear docs moved to Tehran: Minister

  • Politics
  • 22 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
National Guard are seen after reports of two National Guard soldiers shot near the White House in Washington, Wednesday, November 26, 2025. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)
Politics

NG shooting suspect belonged to CIA 'Zero Units' in Afghanistan

This satellite image taken by Airbus DS shows objects on the ground at the Saudi Maternity Hospital in el-Fasher, Sudan (AP)
Politics

Inside the RSF’s brutal campaign against El Fasher’s healthcare

Lebanon urges UN action as 'Israel' builds new walls inside its border
Politics

Lebanon files UN complaint over Israeli concrete walls inside border

UN slams 'Israel' over Gaza torture reports, urges full investigation
Politics

UN slams 'Israel' over Gaza torture reports, urges full investigation

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS