Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Al Mayadeen's correspondent in South Lebanon: Israeli occupation targets bulldozer working to remove rubble of destroyed home in Shebaa.
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands

Kiev spent one month worth of 155 mm shells in 2 days: WaPo

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: The Washington Post
  • 23 Dec 2022 22:59
3 Min Read

The Washington Post says in a report that military aid sent to Ukraine has exposed huge gaps in the defense industry of both the US and NATO.

  • x
  • Kiev spent one month worth of 155 mm shells in 2 days: WaPo
    A Ukrainian serviceman carries a 155 mm artillery shell before firing at Russian positions from a U.S.- supplied M777 howitzer in Kharkiv region, Ukraine, Thursday, July 14, 2022 (AP Photo/Evgeniy Maloletka)

US Army Secretary Christine Wormuth told The Washington Post that Ukrainian forces fire in just two days during heavy clashes what the US produces during one whole month of 155 mm howitzer rounds.

The secretary added that despite increasing production by the defense industry, the maximum capacity that can be produced currently is around 14,000 155 mm howitzer artillery rounds in a span of a month.

Kiev's firepower is highly dependent on the US government-funded weapons being pushed to the front lines on an almost weekly basis.

Read more: Javelin, Stinger stockpiles running low: Raytheon CEO

The news outlet also reported that the "initial war supply operation" was not made to go on for long periods, adding that the ongoing fight in Ukraine has uncovered weaknesses in the US's "strategic planning for its own future battles," and unveiled serious flaws in the "American and NATO defense industrial base."

The report warned stocks of many critical weapons are near depletion and production time for new missiles might take months or even years.

Earlier this month, EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell said that the EU had run out of military stockpiles as it provided Ukraine with an overwhelming amount of military support.

"This war has also been a wake-up call for all of us about our military capabilities. We have given weapons to Ukraine, but in so doing, we realised that our military stockpiles have been depleted. With conventional war returning to the heart of Europe, we also realized that we are lacking critical defense capabilities, to be able to protect ourselves from a higher level of threats on the European continent itself," he said in a statement.

Read more: NYT: US increasing weapons stockpiles in Taiwan

Pentagon planners are being faced with an important question as the US continues to supply Ukraine amid its war that has no end sight and which could last years: If another major war were to erupt today, would the United States have enough munition in its stockpiles to hold its ground?

While Russia is firing around 20,000 rounds per day, ranging from bullets for automatic rifles to truck-sized cruise missiles, Ukraine is firing back around 7,000 rounds per day, including 155 mm howitzer rounds, Stinger anti-aircraft missiles, NASAMS air defense munitions, and thousands of small rounds.

Read more: EU chief: Ukraine war proves EU lacks critical military capabilities

  • United States
  • Russia
  • US
  • war in Ukraine
  • US defense industry
  • military aid
  • Ukraine

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS