Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands
Sheikh Qassem: The agreement came because we held fast, empowered by our vision, our faith, our will, our people, our patriotism, and our unwavering attachment to our land

London High Court examines legality of UK resuming Saudi arms sales

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Agencies
  • 31 Jan 2023 20:06
  • 7 Shares
4 Min Read

An NGO tells a UK court that the government should have identified the Saudi coalition's aggression on Yemen as a violation of international law.

  • x
  • UK Saudi Arabia
    Demonstrators raising a banner that says "Stop arming Saudi Arabia" (CAAT)

London's High Court on Tuesday examined the legality of the UK government's decision to renew sales of arms to Saudi Arabia that could be used in the war on Yemen.

The case has been brought by the UK-based NGO, Campaign Against Arms Trade (CAAT), which accuses the government of contributing to breaches of international law and the world's largest humanitarian disaster in Yemen, which has claimed tens of thousands of lives.

The judicial review is expected to last until the end of the week.

Demonstrators stood outside the court Tuesday morning and hung a banner on the gates saying: "Stop arming Saudi Arabia" and "Solidarity with Yemen."

Ben Jaffey, CAAT's lawyer, told the court that the UK government should have identified the Saudi coalition's repeated bombings of civilians and other non-military targets as violations of international law, breaching rules on arms sales.

The NGO launched the legal challenge after Britain announced in the summer of 2020 that it was resuming arms sales to Saudi Arabia, claiming that there was no clear risk that weapons would be used in a serious violation of international humanitarian law. 

Over 25,000 airstrikes, mostly by #SaudiArabia and made possible by the UK's Royal Air Force, have resulted in the death of almost 9,000 civilians.#Yemen #YemenCantWait pic.twitter.com/vjiutMxB5h

— Al Mayadeen English (@MayadeenEnglish) January 11, 2023

The UK government acknowledged there had been "small breaches", but called these "isolated cases", Jaffey said, describing this as "absurd".

He detailed numerous Saudi bombings aimed at civilians, including a bombing that targeted a Doctors without Borders (MSF) hospital and killed about 10 people in 2016.

A single violation is enough for arms sales to come under question, Jaffey considered.

Read more: Report shows scale of destruction by UK-armed strikes in Yemen

UK government cares "more about profit than war crimes"

Ahead of the hearing, CAAT media coordinator Emily Apple accused the UK government of caring "more about profit than war crimes and the deaths of civilians."

"These arms sales are unlawful and they should be stopped," she told AFP.

The NGO initially won its case against the government in 2019, when the Court of Appeal ruled that the UK's licensing of arms sales was unlawful and that the 

It also said the government had failed to assess properly whether the arms sales violated its commitments to human rights and ordered it to "reconsider the matter."

It is noteworthy that while serving as International Trade Minister, Liz Truss conducted a review and announced in 2020 that export licenses would restart, claiming that Riyadh "has a genuine intent and the capacity to comply with IHL (international humanitarian law)", despite "isolated incidents".

UK one of leading suppliers of arms to Saudi Arabia

CAAT said the UK government has licensed sales to Riyadh of weaponry including combat aircraft, guided bombs, and missiles, with a published value since 2015 of £7.9 billion ($9.8 billion).

It said the UK is one of the leading suppliers of arms to Saudi Arabia, along with the United States.

  • UK has reportedly sold at least £7.9 billion in arms to Saudi Arabia
    The UK has reportedly sold at least £7.9 billion in arms to Saudi Arabia.

Martin Butcher, peace and conflict advisor at the charity Oxfam, highlighted that Saudi airstrikes "are responsible for a larger proportion of the attacks" on civilians in Yemen.

"It's essential that the legality of UK arms sales is examined and arms sales must be immediately stopped," Butcher stressed.

Human Rights Watch researcher Niku Jafarnia said in a statement Tuesday that "violations are not simply 'isolated incidents' as the government claims," pointing out that "UK weapons have been used in some of these violations with total impunity."

Read more: UK protecting mercenary government, aggression: Sanaa

  • United States
  • Riyadh
  • Yemen
  • UK
  • Saudi Arabia

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS