'Near-total' internet crash in Sudan as fighting continues: Watchdog
Internet access dropped to two percent of normal activity across the country, according to a web access watchdog organization.
The internet in Sudan suffered a "near-total collapse" on Sunday, as clashes between General Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan's Sudanese Armed Forces and Mohammed Hamdan Dagalo's Rapid Support Forces (RSF) entered their second week.
"Real-time network data show a near-total collapse of internet connectivity in #Sudan with national connectivity now at 2% of ordinary levels," said NetBlocks on Twitter, a UK-based watchdog organization that monitors internet access around the world.
⚠️ Confirmed: Real-time network data show a near-total collapse of internet connectivity in #Sudan with national connectivity now at 2% of ordinary levels; the incident comes as foreign diplomats are evacuated amid fighting between military and paramilitary forces 📉 pic.twitter.com/qzIT5WmF42— NetBlocks (@netblocks) April 23, 2023
The World Health Organization (WHO) recorded the death of over 420 people and 3,700 wounded across different regions of Sudan - while tolls are probably higher as it is almost impossible to get an accurate number in areas witnessing intense clashes.
The UN children's agency UNICEF said at least nine children were among the dead and more than 50 had been wounded.
The Sudanese Civil Aviation Authority announced on Saturday that it has extended the closure of the country's airspace until April 30.
"The Civil Aviation Authority has issued a notice to pilots extending the closure of Sudanese airspace to all air traffic until April 30," the Khartoum International Airport said in a statement.
According to the statement, the Sudanese Armed Forces will respond to any violation of the country's airspace.