Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Al Mayadeen's correspondent in South Lebanon: Israeli occupation targets bulldozer working to remove rubble of destroyed home in Shebaa.
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands

Niger recalls all ambassadors, starts reforms to West-built structure

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Agencies
  • 3 Sep 2023 09:11
  • 1 Shares
3 Min Read

The Nigerian president says that this move aims to ensure that the diplomatic missions will provide the country and its citizens with the best outcome.

  • x
  • Niger recalls all ambassadors, starts reforms to West-built structure
    Nigerien citizens take down a sign from the French embassy after a rally in support of the new leadership in Niger, Niamey, on July 30, 2023 (AFP)

Niger has recalled all its ambassadors across the world with immediate effect as the West African country initiates structural reforms to catalyze its shift from being under Western dominance and French colonialism to a sovereign ruling.

"[Nigerien] President Bola Tinubu ... has directed the recall of all career and non-career ambassadors from their duty posts worldwide. The President's directive is a sequel to his careful study of the present state of affairs at Nigerian Consulate Offices and Embassies worldwide, and in line with the President's renewed hope agenda," his office said on Saturday in a post on X.

Meanwhile, a Nigerien court ordered on Saturday the expulsion of French Ambassador Sylvain Itte following a petition from the country's popular new leadership. Itte's diplomatic immunity was revoked last Thursday and was given 48 hours to leave Nigerien territory.

Paris, who condemned the coup led by Gen. Abdourahamane Tchiani on July 26 and backed ECOWAS plans to launch a military attack against the country, refused so far to comply with the government's deadline.

Read more: Niger junta accuses Macron of forcing ECOWAS invasion

On Saturday, thousands of Nigerien citizens rallied near France's military base in Niger's capital Niamey - which hosts around 1,500 soldiers - in support of their government demanding that French troops leave their country.

While these were not the first public demonstrations near the base, calling on the withdrawal of the foreign forces, the gatherings were described by Reuters' reporters as the largest one so far with no signs of waning down.

"We are ready to sacrifice ourselves today because we are proud," said one demonstrator according to the news site.

"They plundered our resources and we became aware. So they're going to get out."

🇳🇪🇫🇷THOUSANDS of Nigeriens take to streets demanding French military pack their bags and get out.

Crowds flock outside French army bases for 2nd day in a row to make sure they know Paris ain’t welcome in coup-hit Niger, while country’s new leadership has given France until Sept pic.twitter.com/mR6QC02MGq

— Augustine Chikadibia (@AChikadibi5200) September 2, 2023

French President Emmanuel Macron rejected decisions made by the new authority, saying that any decision the Elysee will take will "be based upon exchanges with [ousted President Mohammed] Bazoum."

Niger denounced his statements, saying that comments by Macron only served France's neo-colonial ambitions.

Tinubu exempted the country's missions to the United Nations in New York and Geneve from the recall decision, given an upcoming UN General Assembly session scheduled from September 19-26.

"The President is determined to ensure that world-class efficiency and quality will henceforth characterize foreign and domestic service delivery to citizens, residents, and prospective visitors alike," his office added on X.

Nigeria maintains a global presence with 109 diplomatic missions, comprising 76 embassies, 22 high commissions, and 11 consulates.

STATE HOUSE PRESS RELEASE

PRESIDENT TINUBU DIRECTS THE TOTAL RECALL OF ALL CAREER AND NON-CAREER AMBASSADORS

President Bola Tinubu (@officialABAT) has directed the recall of all career and non-career ambassadors from their duty posts worldwide.

The President's directive is… pic.twitter.com/LJQQmbzYaa

— Presidency Nigeria (@NGRPresident) September 2, 2023

  • West Africa
  • Niamey
  • Emmanuel Macron
  • France
  • Niger
  • Bola Tinubu

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS