Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands
Sheikh Qassem: The agreement came because we held fast, empowered by our vision, our faith, our will, our people, our patriotism, and our unwavering attachment to our land

Nord Stream blasts carried out on 'state level': Putin

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Agencies
  • 14 Mar 2023 21:20
2 Min Read

Russian President Vladimir Putin dismisses claims that suggest that an autonomous pro-Ukraine organization was responsible for the Nord Stream blasts as "complete nonsense".

  • x
  • Russian President Vladimir Putin attends a meeting on the road construction development via video link at the Novo-Ogaryovo state residence outside Moscow, Russia June 2, 2022. ( REUTERS)
    Russian President Vladimir Putin attends a meeting on road construction development via video link at the Novo-Ogaryovo state residence outside Moscow, Russia, June 2, 2022 (Reuters)

Russian President Vladimir Putin said on Tuesday that last year's blasts on the Nord Stream gas pipelines had been carried out on a "state level", dismissing claims which suggest that an autonomous pro-Ukraine organization was responsible for the blast as "complete nonsense".

This comes shortly after the New York Times reported last week that intelligence examined by US authorities revealed that the pipelines were attacked last September by a pro-Ukraine group, most likely comprised of Ukrainians or Russians.

The Nord Stream 1 and 2 pipelines connecting Russia and Germany under the Baltic Sea were attacked by a series of unexplained explosions last September. At the time, Kremlin Spokesperson Dmitry Peskov labeled the act as state terrorism that cannot pass by without a serious international investigation.

Denmark, Germany, and Sweden have conducted their own investigations into the explosions, but Moscow claims it has been kept in the dark about the investigation.

On this issue,  Putin said in an interview with Rossiya-1 TV channel, "We asked the Danish authorities... about a request to work together or to form an international group of experts, specialists."

"The answer, as I said, was vague. Simply put, no answer. They said we had to wait," he added.

Elsewhere in his remarks, he speculated that the United States gained from the Nord Stream blasts.

"One should always look for those who are interested. And who is interested? Theoretically, of course, the United States is interested," Putin said.

"An explosion of this kind, of this power, at this depth can only be carried out by specialists, and supported by the full power of the state, which has certain technologies," he added.

The Nord Stream gas pipelines were ruptured by subsea explosives on September 26, seven months after the start of the Ukraine war.

In February, veteran US investigative journalist Seymour Hersh reported that with Norway's assistance, the United States was behind the operation to bomb the pipelines.

Back then, the White House described Hersh's report, which cited an unnamed source, as "complete fiction".

Read more: Kremlin blasts Western media downplay of Hersh’s documents

  • US
  • Putin
  • Germany
  • Nord Stream 2

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS