Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Al Mayadeen's correspondent in South Lebanon: Israeli occupation targets bulldozer working to remove rubble of destroyed home in Shebaa.
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands

North Korea Fires Pair of Ballistic Missiles, Seoul Says

  • By Al Mayadeen
  • Source: Al Mayadeen & Agencies
  • 15 Sep 2021 11:27
3 Min Read

Two days after North Korea test-fired a new long-range cruise missile, the South Korean army says Pyongyang fired two ballistic missiles toward the sea from its central inland area into the sea off its east coast.

  • x
  • A missile is seen being fired in this image released by North Korea's Korean Central News Agency in March last year | Reuters
    A missile is seen being fired in March 2020. (Korean Central News Agency)

North Korea fired a pair of ballistic missiles into the sea, said South Korea's military on Wednesday. This is the first launch into the South's sea since March 2020, according to the South Korean Yonhap News Agency.

The nuclear-armed North Korea "fired two unidentified ballistic missiles" from its central inland area into the sea off its east coast, Seoul's Joint Chiefs of Staff said in a statement.

"South Korean and US intelligence agencies are conducting detailed analysis," their statement added, without immediately giving details of the missiles' range.

In turn, Japan's coastguard said it is possible that North Korea launched a ballistic missile, according to Kyodo News.

This comes days after Pyongyang successfully test-fired a new long-range cruise missile. 

Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga described North Korea's test-fire of a ballistic missile as an "outrageous" act, calling it a "threat to the region's security and peace."

Analysts asserted that if they were to confirm the launch of said missiles, that would count for a North Korean technological advancement, as it would provide it with the ability to evade air defense systems.

"This activity highlights DPRK's continuing focus on developing its military program and the threats that poses to its neighbors and the international community," the US Indo-Pacific Command said in a statement.

The Indo-Pacific Command's statement said it would "continue to monitor the situation and are consulting closely with our allies and partners."

White House Deputy Press Secretary, Karine Jean-Pierre, told the press her country's "position has not changed when it comes to North Korea." However, that also meant that the Biden administration is still ready to cooperate with the DPRK on denuclearization. "We remain prepared to engage in diplomacy with DPRK toward our objective of a complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula," she said.

North Korea test-fired a new long-range cruise missile Sunday, the Korean Central News Agency reported Monday amid accusations from the United States that the country is posing a threat to its neighbors.

The missiles traveled for over 1,500 km above North Korea and its territorial waters to hit their targets during the tests conducted over the weekend, according to KCNA.

The South Korean Ministry of Foreign Affairs reported that China's foreign minister, Wang Yi, visited Seoul and met with his South Korean counterpart, Chung Eui-Yong. According to South Korea, the missile launches came during said visit.

  • United States
  • Japan
  • Pentagon
  • Ballistic missiles
  • China
  • North Korea
  • Cruise Missile
  • South Korea

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS