Not seeking war, will respond decisively, certainly: Sayyed Khamenei
Iranian leader Sayyed Ali Khamenei says the Islamic Republic is still growing in terms of strength despite all the losses it sustained.
-
In this photo released by the official website of the office of the Iranian leader, Iranian Leader Ayatollah Sayyed Ali Khamenei speaks during a meeting with students, in Tehran, Iran, Wednesday, March 12, 2025 (AP)
Iranian Leader Ayatollah Sayyed Ali Khamenei dismissed US threats against the Islamic Republic as "unwise" on Wednesday after US President Donald Trump sent him a letter urging negotiations while warning of possible military action if Tehran refused.
"The US is threatening militarism. In my opinion, this threat is unwise," Sayyed Khamenei said during a Ramadan gathering with university students. "Iran is capable of retaliating and will definitely inflict a blow."
The remarks came as Iranian media reported that Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi had received Trump's letter, which was delivered by senior Emirati official Anwar Gargash. Sayyed Khamenei, however, noted that he had not personally received the letter yet but described it as an attempt to "deceive the world's public opinion" by portraying the US as open to dialogue while casting Iran as unwilling to negotiate.
"We sat down and negotiated for several years, and this same person threw the finished, completed, and signed agreement off the table and tore it up," Sayyed Khamenei said, referring to Washington’s withdrawal from the 2015 nuclear deal during Trump’s first term.
Since returning to the White House in January, Trump has called for a new nuclear deal with Tehran while reinstating his "maximum pressure" sanctions policy, citing concerns that Iran is seeking to develop nuclear weapons. Tehran has denied these allegations and has ruled out direct talks as long as sanctions remain in place.
Sayyed Khamenei reiterated this stance, stating, "Negotiations with the US will not lift sanctions… and will only tighten the sanctions knot."
On the nuclear issue, he stressed, "They claim they will not allow Iran to obtain nuclear weapons. If we wanted to make nuclear weapons, America could not stop us. The fact that we do not have nuclear weapons and are not seeking them is because we ourselves do not want them."
Iran has grown stronger
Sayyed Khamenei stated that Iran had become stronger over the past year, contrary to what its adversaries may believe.
"In contrast to the short-sighted views of our enemies, Iran has not weakened but has grown stronger compared to last year," Sayyed Khamenei said during a Ramadan gathering with university students on Wednesday.
He emphasized that the country now possesses significant capabilities across various fields that it did not have a year ago.
Addressing the loss of key resistance leaders, Sayyed Khamenei described it as a major setback, mentioning figures such as Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi, Hezbollah Secretary-General Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah, Hezbollah Executive Council chief Hashem Safieddine, Hamas leaders Ismail Haniyeh and Mohammed Deif, and Yahya Sinwar. However, he stressed that despite these losses, "Iran continues its path of strength and progress."
"The loss of prominent figures does not mean regression or weakness if two key factors—purpose and effort—remain intact," Sayyed Khamenei asserted. "A nation that possesses both will not be hindered by the loss of individuals."
Sayyed Khamenei, who has final say in state matters, said Iran "was not seeking war, but if someone takes action, our response will be decisive and certain".
Iran rules out talks with US
Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian has ruled out negotiations with the United States under current circumstances, stating that Tehran will not engage in talks while under threats.
In comments reported by Iranian state media on Tuesday, he directly addressed Donald Trump, saying, "It is unacceptable for us that they [the US] give orders and make threats. I won't even negotiate with you. Do whatever the hell you want."
The statement follows Trump's confirmation that he sent a letter to Iran's leadership, urging Tehran to negotiate a new nuclear agreement. Speaking to Fox Business Network, he said, "I hope you're going to negotiate because it's going to be a lot better for Iran."
However, Sayyed Khamenei has rejected the prospect of direct talks, calling them neither "smart, wise, nor honorable." On Saturday, he reaffirmed Iran's stance that it will not be bullied into negotiations, further pushing back against Trump's diplomatic overtures.
Despite claiming he prefers diplomacy, Trump has reinstated his "maximum pressure" campaign, aiming to economically isolate Iran and reduce its oil exports. He framed Iran's choices as either a military confrontation or a deal, saying, "There are two ways Iran can be handled: militarily, or you make a deal."