Over 100 charged with negligence after earthquake in Turkey
The Turkish authorities have charged more than 100 people with negligence and manslaughter, among other charges.
The Turkish authorities have charged at least 14 people with negligence, manslaughter, and building code violations amid a popular demand for accountability in light of the devastating earthquake that hit the country earlier in the week.
Authorities have started arresting over 100 contractors, architects, and engineers who had a hand in the construction of buildings that began collapsing starting Monday after the massive earthquake hit Turkey.
Turkish Vice President Fuat Oktay said Saturday that the Police have so far identified 131 suspects who played a role in the construction of the structures that collapsed.
Oktay revealed that detention orders have already been issued for 113 of them, with more than ten being imprisoned already over charges of building code violations and reckless manslaughter, among other charges.
As the government prioritizes rescue efforts, the judicial process will follow, and all of those guilty of negligence and fault will be held accountable, Justice Minister Bekir Bozdag said on Wednesday.
The Justice Ministry has started instructing local prosecutors to establish "Earthquake Crime Investigation Departments" in the 10 provinces where a state of emergency has been declared, another Turkish outlet said.
Moreover, according to Turkish media, some 50 people have been so far arrested for looting in the wake of the natural disaster amid popular outrage against the phenomenon, with bystanders having been filmed trying to beat a suspected looter as the police were attempting to detain him.
Deprem sonrası bazı bölgelerde yağma olaylarına başlandığı iddia edildi. pic.twitter.com/lUWzQTPZHY— DarkWeb Haber (@Darkwebhaber) February 6, 2023
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Saturday that the death toll from the devastating earthquakes in Turkey has increased to 21,043 people, with over 80,000 others injured,
The 7.8 magnitude earthquake on Monday was one of the deadliest natural disasters to strike the region this century, prompting dozens of countries to send rescue teams to help in the search. Experts warned that the window for finding survivors was closing in the aftermath of the quake.