Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Pope Leo XIV: Peacemakers do not flee, but dare to stay even if it costs them some sacrifice.
The Pope to the Lebanese: You are a diverse country and a community made up of communities united by one language, the language of hope, which has allowed you to start anew.
Pope Leo XIV to the Lebanese: You are a people who do not give up, but a people who persevere in the face of difficulties and know how to be reborn.
Al Mayadeen's correspondent in South Lebanon: Israeli occupation targets bulldozer working to remove rubble of destroyed home in Shebaa.
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options

Philippines President says Manila will not turn into 'staging post'

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Agencies
  • 1 May 2023 09:57
  • 1 Shares
3 Min Read

Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos warns that Philippines will not become a military "staging post", despite allowing the US four new military bases just last month.

  • x
  • Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. arranges the mic before speaking at the 126th founding anniversary of the Philippine Army at Fort Bonifacio in Taguig, Philippines on Wednesday, March 22, 2023. (AP)
    Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. arranges the mic before speaking at the 126th founding anniversary of the Philippine Army at Fort Bonifacio in Taguig, Philippines on Wednesday, March 22, 2023. (AP)

Ahead of a meeting with US President Joe Biden, on Monday, Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos said his government refuses to allow the Philippines to turn into a "staging post" for military action.

Earlier this month, Manila announced that it will grant the US four additional military bases on its soil, two of which will be close to Taiwan and one will be near the South China Sea, in an effort to offset alleged Chinese "increasing assertiveness toward Taiwan."

Despite allowing the US to militarize across the nation, Marcos, en route to Washington, said, on Sunday, "We will not encourage any provocative action that will involve the Philippines by any other country," adding, "We will not allow the Philippines to be used as a staging post for any kind of military action."

Referencing an incident in which a Chinese coast guard ship cut off a Philippine patrol vessel, in the disputed South China Sea, Marcos said the April 23 incident was "a near-crash and that...can cause casualties on both sides," and stressed, "That's exactly what we want to avoid."    

Moreover, Marcos urged China to follow through with the agreement to set up a "direct communication mechanism" on issues regarding the disputed waters in the South China Sea.    

Accusing China of intending to breach the Philippines' rights and acquire disputed waters, Manila aligned itself with the US hoping to strengthen its defenses.

US warns Beijing of military response if China targets Philippine army

Washington warned China of a US military response in case of an attack on the Philippine army, the White House said in a statement on Saturday,

The 2014 Enhanced Defense Cooperation Agreement, known as EDCA, provided the US forces access to five bases in the Philippines, the number of which has now increased to nine. 

The new US bases in the Philippines could house US supplies and nuclear weapons in case of a future war, and during peacetime will host American arms and hardware. The agreement has drawn criticism from Beijing, which recently claimed that it was a result of "US efforts to encircle and contain China through its military alliance with this country."

China warned in early April that Washington was "endangering regional peace" through its military expansion in the Philippines.

"Out of self-interest, the US maintains a zero-sum mentality and continues to strengthen its military deployment in the region," Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Mao Ning said.

This month also saw the largest ever US-Philippine joint exercise where over 17,000 soldiers trained with the aim to challenge China's presence in the Asia-Pacific. The United States "must not interfere in South China Sea disputes, still less harm China's territorial sovereignty, maritime rights and interests and security interests," Beijing responded then.

Read more: US, Philippines wrap up Balikatan military drills with HIMARS strikes

  • South China Sea
  • US
  • China
  • US Base
  • Philippines

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025
Point-blank killings: 'Israel' executes 2 Palestinian youths in Jenin

Graphic footage: IOF execute 2 Palestinians from point blank in Jenin

  • Politics
  • 27 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS