Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands
Sheikh Qassem: The agreement came because we held fast, empowered by our vision, our faith, our will, our people, our patriotism, and our unwavering attachment to our land
Sheikh Qassem: People of Might Battle was a confrontation by a modest force, incomparable to the enemy's strength, but it was noble in spirit, brimming with courage, resolve, and unwavering faith in victory
Sheikh Qassem: Today, Lebanon is under an Israeli aerial occupation
Sheikh Qassem: The project of "Israel" came crashing into the defenses of the People of Might Battle

Qatar pulls out of Gaza ceasefire talks pending sincere commitment

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Agencies
  • 9 Nov 2024 18:10
  • 4 Shares
3 Min Read

Qatar reveals that it has decided to withdraw from the Gaza ceasefire talks due to lack of "negotiating in good faith" in the discussions

  • x
  • The aircraft of US Secretary of State Antony Blinken arrives at Ben Gurion airport near Tel Aviv, in occupied Palestine, on Monday, June 10, 2024 (AP)
    The aircraft of US Secretary of State Antony Blinken arrives at Ben Gurion airport near Tel Aviv, in occupied Palestine, on Monday, June 10, 2024 (AP)

Qatar has withdrawn from its role as a primary mediator in ceasefire and prisoner swap negotiations between the Israeli occupation and Hamas, citing a lack of genuine commitment to negotiation, a diplomatic source informed AFP on Saturday.

Qatar, along with the United States and Egypt, had been working for months to broker a truce that would include the release of captives and detainees, but these efforts have yet to yield progress.

"The Qataris informed both the Israelis and Hamas that as long as there is a refusal to negotiate a deal in good faith, they cannot continue to mediate," the source said, speaking on condition of anonymity. As a result, Qatar conveyed to Hamas that its political office in Doha "no longer serves its purpose."

Qatar’s decision has been officially communicated to both the Israeli occupation and Hamas, as well as to the US administration. The source noted that Qatar was open to re-engaging in mediation if both parties demonstrated a sincere commitment to returning to negotiations.

Hamas' political bureau in Qatar, however, had not "received any request from the authorities to leave the country," a senior source in the movement told the Russian Ria Novosti.

“We have nothing to confirm or deny regarding what was published by an unidentified diplomatic source and we have not received any request to leave Qatar,” the official said from Doha, after a diplomatic source told AFP.

'Pre-existing plans'

Qatar's Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani had underlined in October that the Israeli occupation was deliberately expanding the Middle East conflict as part of "pre-existing plans" targeting the occupied West Bank and Lebanon.

In an address to Qatar's Shura Council, Sheikh Tamim indicated that "the easiest and safest way to stop the escalation on the border with Lebanon would have been to stop the war of extermination on Gaza."

"But Israel deliberately chose to expand the aggression to implement pre-existing plans in other locations such as the West Bank and Lebanon because it sees that the atmosphere [of inaction against it] would allow it," he said.

“Destruction will not work with the steadfast Palestinian people who are clinging to their legitimate rights,” Sheikh Tamim underscored.

'Israel' seeks extended war

A similar sentiment was declared by Hamas political bureau member Izzat al-Rish, who underlined earlier in November that the Israeli occupation's recent ceasefire proposals for a few days in Gaza are merely "for throwing dust in the eyes," noting that they do not include a halt to aggression, a withdrawal, or the return of displaced people.

On Saturday, al-Rishq explained that Israeli occupation Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is stalling with the aim of buying time and has been using negotiations as a coverup to pursue his aggression.

In parallel, al-Rishq underscored, "We are open to any proposals or ideas that ensure the end of aggression and the withdrawal of the occupation forces from Gaza," adding that "the concerted roles game between the occupation and the US administration continues in Lebanon, just as it does in Gaza."

  • United States
  • Occupied Palestine
  • Palestine
  • Israel
  • Israeli occupation
  • Doha
  • Hamas
  • Gaza
  • Qatar

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
A boy tries to stand near missiles displayed in the National Aerospace Park of the Revolutionary Guard, just outside Tehran, Iran, Thursday, Nov. 13, 2025 (AP)

Key Israeli sites destroyed, nuclear docs moved to Tehran: Minister

  • Politics
  • 22 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
National Guard are seen after reports of two National Guard soldiers shot near the White House in Washington, Wednesday, November 26, 2025. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)
Politics

NG shooting suspect belonged to CIA 'Zero Units' in Afghanistan

This satellite image taken by Airbus DS shows objects on the ground at the Saudi Maternity Hospital in el-Fasher, Sudan (AP)
Politics

Inside the RSF’s brutal campaign against El Fasher’s healthcare

Lebanon urges UN action as 'Israel' builds new walls inside its border
Politics

Lebanon files UN complaint over Israeli concrete walls inside border

UN slams 'Israel' over Gaza torture reports, urges full investigation
Politics

UN slams 'Israel' over Gaza torture reports, urges full investigation

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS