Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Al Mayadeen's correspondent in South Lebanon: Israeli occupation targets bulldozer working to remove rubble of destroyed home in Shebaa.
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands

Russia says captured key Donbass city of Kurakhovo amid heavy fighting

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Agencies
  • 6 Jan 2025 23:33
  • 2 Shares
2 Min Read

The Russian Ministry of Defense announces heavy losses and casualties among Ukrainian forces during the two-month battle.

Listen
  • x
  • A Russian soldier is photographed holding a flag in front of a damaged tower. (Telegram)
    A Russian soldier is photographed holding a flag in front of a damaged tower. (Telegram)

Russia's Ministry of Defense announced on Monday that its Yug (South) battle group has secured control over the strategic city of Kurakhovo, located in the western part of the Donetsk People's Republic (DPR).

The ministry described this as a significant achievement in its broader efforts to gain control of the Donbass region.

"In the course of active offensive actions, the Southern battle group has completely liberated the city of Kurakhovo – the largest settlement in the southwestern part of Donbas," the ministry said. 

🇷🇺 Russian troops send greetings from liberated Kurakhovo, where they are already clearing the streets of enemy symbols. pic.twitter.com/BdQD79rXgg

— DD Geopolitics (@DD_Geopolitics) January 5, 2025

The statement noted that Ukrainian forces had suffered heavy losses during the two-month battle, with over 12,000 troops killed or wounded, alongside the destruction of approximately 3,000 pieces of military hardware, including 40 tanks.

"During the two months of fighting near Kurakhovo, Ukraine's daily military losses averaged between 150 and 180 people killed and wounded," the ministry added.

Strategic significance of Kurakhovo

The Russian Defense Ministry highlighted Kurakhovo's strategic importance, describing it as a fortified position with extensive defensive structures and underground networks.

A water reservoir to the north had previously constrained Russian troop movements, complicating their offensive.

"Establishing control over this important logistics hub has significantly complicated the rear and technical support of the Ukrainian armed forces group in the Donetsk direction, depriving the Kiev regime of the opportunity to fire artillery systems at the civilian population of Donetsk, the capital of the DPR," the statement said.

The ministry also mentioned that this success would accelerate efforts to capture the DPR.

Read more: Russia captures LPR village, eliminates 100s of Ukrainian troops: MoD

Broader frontline operations

In addition to Kurakhovo, the Russian Defense Ministry provided updates on other operations across Ukraine.

It stated that the Zapad (West) battle group repelled three Ukrainian counterattacks, inflicting casualties of up to 550 soldiers and destroying a range of military equipment, including US and UK-produced weapons.

Similarly, the Tsentr (Center) battle group reportedly repelled 14 counterattacks and eliminated 535 Ukrainian personnel, while the Vostok (East) and Sever (North) groups reported inflicting heavy losses in their respective sectors.

The Dnepr group was also credited with eliminating 80 Ukrainian soldiers in combat.

  • Russia
  • Kurakhovo
  • Ukraine
  • Russian Ministry of Defense
  • Donbas
Russia & NATO

Russia & NATO

As the Draconian Western-led sanctions on Russia exacerbate the economic crisis worldwide, and as Russian troops gain more ground despite the influx of military aid into Ukraine, exposing US direct involvement in bio-labs spread across Eastern Europe and the insurgence of neo-Nazi groups… How will things unfold?

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS