Russia-Ukraine land-dividing contract being negotiated: Trump
The US president considered that NATO, without the involvement of his country, would not pose a significant concern to Russian President Vladimir Putin.
-
President Donald Trump speaks during an event in the Oval Office of the White House in Washington, Friday, March 21, 2025 (Pool via AP)
Negotiations are currently underway regarding a potential agreement to resolve the ongoing war in Ukraine, which includes discussions about territorial divisions, US President Donald Trump revealed.
"The contract's being negotiated, the contract in terms of dividing up the lands, etc, etc. It's being negotiated as we speak," Trump told reporters.
He also expressed optimism about the possibility of a full ceasefire between Ukraine and Russia occurring soon, saying, "We're going to pretty soon have a full ceasefire."
In addition, Trump considered that NATO, without the involvement of the United States, would not pose a significant concern to Russian President Vladimir Putin.
"Without us, NATO is not I can tell you, I've been having very good discussions, as you know, with [Ukrainian] President [Volodymyr] Zelenskyy and with President Putin. And President Putin will tell you that without the United States, he wouldn't be worried, but he is worried when the United States is involved," he said.
Momentum has been building in recent weeks toward a ceasefire in the three-year war, as US officials engage in talks with Russian and Ukrainian sides.
Both Russia and Ukraine have expressed support for a 30-day halt in strikes on energy infrastructure, a pause ordered by Russian President Vladimir Putin on Tuesday. However, Kiev claims that Moscow has already violated it.
On Monday, US negotiators will hold separate meetings with Ukrainian and Russian delegations in Saudi Arabia, in what US envoy Keith Kellogg described to American media as "shuttle diplomacy" between hotel rooms.
Last week, Ukraine approved a US-proposed 30-day ceasefire across land, air, and sea—an idea Russia rejected.
The Kremlin stated on Friday that Putin's directive to refrain from striking energy targets in Ukraine remains in effect, despite Kiev's accusations that Moscow has repeatedly breached it.
The Russian President announced a limited 30-day suspension of strikes on Ukrainian energy infrastructure on Tuesday, following a phone call with US President Donald Trump.
Overnight, a Russian energy facility near the border with Ukraine, previously used to pump gas to Europe, was set ablaze in an attack for which both Moscow and Kiev blamed each other.
However, on Thursday, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky claimed that Moscow continues to target energy facilities, dismissing any change in the situation "despite Putin's words."
Read more: Russian delegation confirms will head to Riyadh for talks with US