Russian MoD: Ukrainian nationalists are blocking civilian evacuations
According to the Russian Defense Ministry, the humanitarian situation in Ukraine is deteriorating and nearing a catastrophe.
According to the Russian Defense Ministry, Ukrainian nationalists are blocking civilians and foreigners from evacuating Mariupol and Volnokhava, even though Russia complied with all conditions regarding time, routes, and security.
The Russian Defense Ministry stated that none of the expected 200,000 refugees from Mariupol or 15,000 from Volnovakha used humanitarian corridors.
However, it noted that despite the massive disruption of the humanitarian operation, it is still willing to work with Ukraine to solve the crisis.
The Ministry also stated that Ukraine is reportedly rejecting Russia's proposals to open corridors in Kharkiv and Sumy.
DPR: Ukrainian militants blocking civilians from evacuating Volnovakha
Ukrainian militants are obstructing civilian evacuation from Volnovakha and preventing them from reaching humanitarian corridors, according to the Donetsk People's Republic's territory defense department on Saturday.
Today, Saturday, Russia declared a ceasefire for civilians to evacuate from the cities of Mariupol and Volnovakha, the Russian Defense Ministry stated.
"Today, on March 5, starting at 10 a.m. Moscow time [07:00 GMT], Russia is declaring a ceasefire and humanitarian corridors are opening for civilians to leave Mariupol and Volnovakha," the Ministry said.
The Ministry added that the corridors and the evacuation routes were agreed upon with Ukraine.
On its Telegram channel, the department said, "Militants of VFU [armed formations of Ukraine] are preventing the evacuation of civilians from Volnovakha ... They are intentionally not providing the necessary assistance to those in need so that they could not leave the Volnovakha settlements."
The Ministry also detailed that 24 people, including four Volnovakha residents, had been evacuated from the Mykolaivka settlement to Novyi Svit. According to the report, several individuals are still trapped in the basements of collapsed residential structures in Volnovakha, unable to escape on their own.
"The nationalists refused to provide a humanitarian corridor to the residents of Mariupol," the Ministry declared.
The Ukrainian forces are reportedly urging people on social media to refuse to leave the city since an evacuation decision has not yet been made.
Mariupol says evacuation postponed
The Mariupol City Council announced on its Telegram channel that the evacuation of the civilian population is postponed.
The council added that the local authorities are negotiating with Russia on a ceasefire and a humanitarian route from Mariupol and that further information on evacuations would be published soon.
DPR forces face fire from Nazi Battalions
After entering the Ukrainian city of Mariupol, fighters from the Ukrainian Nazi battalions Azov and Aidar opened fire on DPR troops from schools, hospitals, maternity hospitals, and kindergartens, according to the Russian Defense Ministry Spokesperson Igor Konashenkov.
"Soldiers of the Donetsk People's Republic continue to tighten the ring of encirclement around Mariupol," the Spokesperson said.
"Fighters of the Azov and Aidar Nazi battalions are firing at the units of the People's Militia that have entered the city from reinforced positions in schools, hospitals, maternity hospitals, and kindergartens," Konashenkov added.
Over 2000 military sites in Ukraine have already been destroyed, according to the Spokesperson.