Sanaa: 'Quartet' is an attempt to impose guardianship on Yemen
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the Sanaa government rejects what was issued by the quartet of aggression in its last meeting and calls on the countries of aggression to "change their strategy from aggressive war to peace."
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Sanaa government affirmed its rejection of the so-called quartet in its last meeting, on the sidelines of the 77th session of the United Nations General Assembly, which showed it as “trying to impose guardianship on the Republic of Yemen and its people, through its position on the aggression.”
“If the so-called quartet is serious regarding the talk about peace, it must prove it to the international community, by declaring an end to the military aggression and total lifting of the siege, instead of praising some humanitarian steps, which is not enough to confront the repercussions of the humanitarian catastrophe created by the countries of aggression," the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement issued on Saturday.
The ministry reiterated "Sanaa's unmistakable position, which was repeated by the highest levels of leadership, that it supports a just and honorable peace for the Yemeni people," calling on "the countries of aggression to change their strategy from aggressive war to peace."
The ministry's statement stressed that "Sanaa will not sit idly by in order to undermine the truce with the aim of keeping the country into a state of no war and no peace."
A joint statement by the governments of the so-called quartet, namely Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, the United States, and Britain said earlier on Saturday that "a meeting of the four parties condemned the large-scale military reinforcements" of the Sanaa forces and "the attacks that threatened to disrupt the truce."
The four countries expressed their full support for the efforts of the United Nations Special Envoy, Hans Grundberg, to extend the truce, in addition to the full implementation of all its terms.
Yemen's warring parties agreed to extend the truce for another two months just hours before it was due to expire, the United Nations Special Envoy for Yemen Hans Grundberg announced in August.
The terms of the truce in force in Yemen since April 2 and which was also extended on June 2, include ceasing offensive military operations, by land, sea, and air, inside Yemen and across its borders, and facilitating the entry of ships carrying fuel to the ports of Al-Hudaydah, western Yemen.