Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Al Mayadeen's correspondent in South Lebanon: Israeli occupation targets bulldozer working to remove rubble of destroyed home in Shebaa.
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands

Sanders says Congress needs to 'move to protect children in Palestine'

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: News websites
  • 14 Jan 2024 21:39
  • 3 Shares
5 Min Read

The US Senator describes "Israel's" war on Gaza as worse than the bombing of Dresden in WWII.

  • x
  • Sanders says Congress needs to
    US Senator Bernie Sanders on October 11, 2023 (AFP)

US Senator Bernie Sanders called for US Congress to "start moving to protect children in Palestine," calling the Israeli assault on Gaza "worse than what took place in Dresden over a two-year period."

During an appearance with CNN's State of the Union, Sanders offered a resolution to investigate the "humanitarian cataclysm…done with American bombs and money."

He called the killing of nearly 24,000 Palestinians and injury of over 60,000 a "humanitarian catastrophe" and emphasized that two-thirds of those killed were women and children, lamenting the 70% of homes demolished by Israeli strikes.

"If I use the word Dresden, Germany, to you, you think about the horrific destruction during World War II of that city. What is going on in Gaza now in three months is worse than what took place in Dresden over a two-year period. This is a catastrophe…"

Last month, an article published by the Financial Times revealed that the damage caused by "Israel's" bombing campaigns in the Gaza Strip has approached the UK and US's years-long bombing of German cities in the Second World War.

Although Sanders maintained that the Israeli occupation has a right to "respond" to Operation Al-Aqsa Flood launched on October 7, he expressed that it did not have the right to wage war against "an entire people, women and children."

He called for the US Congress to act to bring an end to the destruction since it was being executed "with military weapons supplied by the US."

"We cannot turn our backs on it. Congress has got to start moving to protect children in Palestine.”

Sanders eyes conditions for aid to 'Israel' amid war on Gaza

In November, Sanders' stance stood out differently. He expressed that he does not seek to defund "Israel" despite the ongoing genocide, but rather put some laws in place so that it practices occupation and ethnic cleansing within some set boundaries.

Calling the Palestinian Resistance movement Hamas a "corrupt terrorist organization," Sanders outright ignored the right of citizens facing an occupation to bear arms and fight said occupation.

Meanwhile, Sanders asserted that the actions of the Israeli occupation in Gaza violate "every code of human decency" and must come to an immediate halt.

The pro-Israeli Senator put five conditions in place for the continuation of aid to "Israel", and they are as follows:

  1. Cessation of indiscriminate bombings
    Sanders called for an end to the indiscriminate bombing that has resulted in the loss of thousands of civilian lives. He urged for a significant pause in military operations to allow for massive humanitarian assistance to reach the region.
  2.  Right to return for the displaced
    Sanders insisted on recognizing the right of displaced Gazans to return to their homes.
  3. No long-term re-occupation, blockade
    The Senator demanded a commitment to avoiding long-term Israeli re-occupation or blockade of the Gaza Strip.
  4. End to settler violence, freeze on settlement expansion
    He called for an end to settler violence in the West Bank and a freeze on the expansion of Israeli settlements.
  5. Commitment to peace talks for a "two-state solution" 
    Sanders emphasized the need for a commitment to broad peace talks, aiming for a "two-state solution" after the brutal war on Gaza is over.

According to the Democrat, not a single penny of US aid will be provided to "Israel" unless there is a "fundamental change in their military and political positions."

Gaza Health: 'Israel' has committed 2000 massacres in 100 days

For 100 days, the Israeli occupation has been deliberately wiping out residential neighborhoods across the Gaza Strip, aiming to extinguish life in the region.

On Sunday, Ashraf al-Qudra, the spokesperson for the Ministry of Health in Gaza, provided a detailed account of the victims of the Israeli brutal aggression and genocide against the people of Palestine in Gaza, marking the 100th day of the genocide.

Al-Qudra stated that during the 100 days of the heinous Israeli aggression on Gaza, the Israeli occupation has deliberately destroyed the healthcare system and its infrastructure, leading to its complete collapse.

The spokesperson further added that the occupation has also intentionally targeted 150 health facilities, rendering 30 hospitals and 53 health centers inoperative, and destroyed more than 121 ambulances.

Al-Qudra pointed out that the occupation has killed 337 healthcare professionals and detained, under harsh circumstances, about 99 others. Al-Qudra highlighted that the occupation committed 12 massacres against Palestinian families in Gaza in the past 24 hours, killing 125 and injuring 265.

  • Gaza Strip
  • Occupied Palestine
  • Operation Al-Aqsa Flood
  • Israel
  • US
  • Israeli occupation
  • Dresden
  • Bernie Sanders
  • Vermont
  • United States
  • Palestine
  • Gaza

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS