Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Pope Leo XIV: Peacemakers do not flee, but dare to stay even if it costs them some sacrifice.
The Pope to the Lebanese: You are a diverse country and a community made up of communities united by one language, the language of hope, which has allowed you to start anew.
Pope Leo XIV to the Lebanese: You are a people who do not give up, but a people who persevere in the face of difficulties and know how to be reborn.
Al Mayadeen's correspondent in South Lebanon: Israeli occupation targets bulldozer working to remove rubble of destroyed home in Shebaa.
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options

SDF announce halting operations against ISIS after Turkish attacks

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Agencies
  • 26 Nov 2022 20:56
3 Min Read

Abdi says Ankara is now ready to launch a ground offensive, after about a week of Turkish airstrikes on northern Syria.

  • x
  • SDF
    SDF militants (AFP)

Mazloum Abdi, commander of the US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces, confirmed on Saturday the cessation of operations against ISIS following the Turkish attacks on northern Syria last week.

On Sunday, Turkish Defense Minister Hulusi Akar announced that Turkey has launched the "Operation Claw-Sword" offensive with airstrikes targeting Kurdish militants in both Iraq and Syria.

Abdi said Ankara is now ready to launch a ground offensive, after about a week of Turkish airstrikes on northern Syria, and Turkish-backed opposition militants in Syria are preparing to participate in the offensives, noting that the Turkish strikes last week inflicted severe damage to the infrastructure of the area.

The SDF commander considered that Turkey is using the November 13 deadly bombing in Istanbul, which Ankara blames on Kurdish groups, as a pretext for launching its attacks, despite Kurdish denial of any involvement.

He said the SDF which is working with the "International Coalition" to fight ISIS has now become a target of the Turkish state, and therefore military operations against ISIS have stopped.

Abdi's statement came hours after the US military announced a missile attack on the US-led coalition forces bases in Al-Shaddadi, northeastern Syria, without causing casualties or damage to the base or coalition property.

A few days ago, Abdi announced halting military operations against ISIS in protest of the US stance on the Turkish attacks in northern Syria, pointing out that the operation against ISIS with the Americans stopped due to preoccupation with Turkish attacks.

The Kurdish leader also said that coordination with the Russian forces was affected as well, calling on Moscow and Washington to intervene and stop Ankara's attacks.

It is noteworthy that the US Department of Defense had expressed concern over the recent uptick in military activity in northern Syria, Iraq, and Turkey, citing the danger they pose to efforts to defeat ISIS.

In the same context, Russia has asked Turkey to refrain from a full-scale ground offensive in Syria, senior Russian negotiator Alexander Lavrentyev said on Wednesday, because such actions could trigger an escalation of violence.

Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan pledged on Friday to create a "security zone" in Syria to ward off Kurdish militants from carrying out attacks on Turkish civilians residing near the Syrian border.

Erdogan indicated that the "safe zone" will include the Syrian border city of Ayn Al-Arab.

On Thursday, the Turkish Foreign Ministry said that Turkey is planning to continue its offensive aimed at "eliminating terrorist bases" in northern Iraq and Syria.

  • Syria
  • United States
  • Syrian Democratic Forces
  • Turkey
  • ISIS
  • US
  • SDF
  • Ankara

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS