Sources to Al Mayadeen: Hayat Tahrir Al-Sham convoy enters Afrin
Field sources in the Aleppo countryside tell Al Mayadeen that the agreement between Hayat Tahrir Al-Sham and the Third Corps militants has not yet been finalized, and negotiations are still ongoing.
Field sources in the Aleppo countryside told Al Mayadeen that the latest agreement between Hayat Tahrir Al-Sham (HTS) and the Third Corps does not discuss the latter's withdrawal from HTS-controlled regions. Moreover, Hayat Tahrir Al-Sham is said to be preparing for a large convoy to roam the Aleppo countryside from Afrin, passing through the cities of Al-Bab and Azaz, which the HTS has so far not established control over.
Al Mayadeen sources also noted that the deal has not yet been finalized and that negotiations are still ongoing to reach a new deal that takes all articles into consideration. Meanwhile, the preliminary deal states that all factions are to demobilize, while a ceasefire will be in effect.
Sources also revealed that HTS leader Al-Jolani is out to impose his terms on the agreement, which the Third Corps has yet to agree upon. In fact, the latter still maintains that Al-Jolani's men are to withdraw from areas they gained control of so that matters can go back to their pre-fighting status.
The sources also told Al Mayadeen that the agreement is still fragile, despite Turkey's supervision over matters, because of Al-Jolani's insistence on remaining in control of areas he recently entered, not to mention his desire to establish an entirely new administration for Aleppo's northern countryside in which his HTS would partake and have access to all tolls gained from checkpoints.
Meanwhile, armed groups are mobilizing in the cities of Al-Bab and Azaz to intercept the convoy, with calls over social media being made to prevent it from leaving Afrin.
The infighting between Hayat Tahrir Al-Sham and its allies, on the one hand, and the Third Corps, on the other, has so far resulted in more than 100 deaths and dozens of wounded and captives. 10 civilians were also killed, including four women and two children.
Hamza Division shells Al-Bab, east of Aleppo
In a related context, violent confrontations took place today between the Third Corps and the Hamza Division in the city of Al-Bab, northeast of Aleppo.
عاجل - #الباب— وائل أحمد الغابي (@gabewael) October 15, 2022
اشتباكات عنيفة بين الفيلق الثالث وفرقة الحمزة في مدينة الباب.
تم تنفيذ الاتفاق وتسيير جميع بنوده تقريباً لكن هناك بند خارج الجدول تعمل فرقة الحمزة على استعادة مواقعها في مدينة الباب بعد سريان الاتفاق ! pic.twitter.com/wosvycOKdo
Our correspondent reported that a number of civilians were injured as a result of the infighting.
The Third Corps withdrew the text detailing its deal with Hayat Tahrir Al-Sham from its social media platforms today, signaling a failure between the two in committing to the 10-article agreement to cease confrontations and end the dispute between them.
800 families return to Idlib countryside
After Maarat Al-Numan was cleared of terrorists and basic services were restored to parts of the city, more than 800 families were returned amid celebrations to mark the joyous occasion.
من عودة أهالي #معرة_النعمان إلى مدينتهم بعد تطهيرها من الإرهاب وتأمين الخدمات الأساسية لها. pic.twitter.com/FCGqcg5IBl— الأحداث السورية 🇸🇾🗨 (@Syriaevents) October 15, 2022
Moreover, applications are still being accepted for families wishing to return to their homes in the city.
Idlib's governor clarified that those wishing to return to their homes need only provide a copy of their ID card and a title deed of their house.
Basic services, such as drinking water, electricity, bakeries, schools, and such are still being restored in other parts of the city.