Sudan Army, RSF continue to pour reinforcement as fighting rages
Clashes between the Sudanese army and the Rapid Support Forces are ongoing at several points in Khartoum and the Doctors Syndicate says that 60 hospitals are out of service.
During the last days of the ceasefire, Khartoum witnessed on Thursday fierce battles between the Sudanese army and the Rapid Support Forces (RSF). Despite this, the army spoke of a major breakthrough coming, at a time when international regional efforts are being made for a ceasefire.
On the last day of the fourth ceasefire, clashes erupted at several points in Khartoum and plumes of smoke rose in the vicinity of the presidential palace in Khartoum, coinciding with the overflight of warplanes. Likewise, the RSF said that the army bombed its camp in the Kafouri area, in Khartoum, with air and artillery.
Simultaneously, clashes with heavy weapons broke out in the city of Al Junaynah, the capital of West Darfur.
Despite the ongoing clashes, the Sudanese army said that the coming days will witness a major breakthrough in the country, adding that the military situation inside and outside Khartoum is very stable, with the exception of West Darfur. The army statement stated that the RSF continues to randomly shell areas in central Khartoum.
Shortly before the end of the ceasefire, the Sudanese army revealed that it had sent military reinforcements to the capital, indicating that the RSF in Omdurman and Khartoum were trying to move their operations to the eastern Nile region.
In exchange for the reinforcements that the army brought in from several cities in anticipation of a new round of fighting, the RSF, in turn, brought additional forces from the western and southwestern regions.
For its part, the Sudanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs denied any dialogue between the army and RSF. The Sudanese Foreign Ministry added that the RSF continues to violate the armistice by "infringing on the lives and property of citizens."
Medical concern after warning against biological hazards
In addition to the clashes, the Sudanese Doctors Syndicate expressed its concern following a UN warning against a biological hazard, as a result of an armed forces' takeover of Khartoum's national laboratory.
The Sudanese Medical Association said that 60 out of 86 hospitals in conflict areas inside and outside Khartoum were out of service. Additionally, the Doctors Syndicate had previously stated that many hospitals in the areas of clashes were bombed.
Shooting must stop to form a civilian government: Blinken
In turn, US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said that his country is working with United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres to address the crisis in Sudan.
Blinken added, "We hope that a permanent ceasefire agreement will be reached in Sudan, in order to allow the formation of a civilian-led government."
Read next: Sudan on 'the edge of the abyss': UN chief