Sudanese army accuses RSF of exploiting children in combat
The spokesperson for the Sudanese Armed Forces says the RSF used criminals and prison escapees as fighters to carry out criminal operations.
The Sudanese Armed Forces General Command accused on Saturday the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) of exploiting children under the age of 15 in combat, in violation of international law.
In a statement, the spokesperson for the Sudanese Armed Forces said the army continues to strike the RSF in all locations across the country, pointing out that the Rapid Support Forces used criminals and prison escapees as fighters to carry out criminal operations.
In a related context, a local lawyers' union said at least 16 civilians have been killed by rocket fire that hit their houses in war-torn Sudan's western Darfur region.
"During an exchange of rocket fire between the army and the Rapid Support Forces (RSF), 16 civilians were killed on Friday, according to a preliminary toll, in Nyala," the South Darfur state capital, the union said, adding that at least one man was killed by a sniper.
In the West Darfur capital of El Geneina, near Chad, snipers have reportedly been targeting residents from rooftops since fighting began, and tens of thousands of residents have fled across the border.
A couple of days ago, the Sudanese army and the Rapid Support Forces engaged in violent clashes in parts of the city of Khartoum Bahri, a day after the two sides welcomed new mediation efforts aimed at ending the war, which entered its fourth month.
Earlier, the leaders of the seven countries neighboring Sudan called on the two sides of the conflict to abide by the ceasefire and called on the countries of the region not to interfere in the conflict.
They also warned of the possibility of the disintegration or fragmentation of the state of Sudan and the spread of factors of chaos, including terrorism and organized crime.
Representatives of the Sudanese army have returned to Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, to resume negotiations with the RSF. The talks, mediated by Saudi and US officials, were adjourned last month due to repeated ceasefire violations.
The army delegation's return to Saudi Arabia indicates a renewed focus on diplomatic efforts after boycotting talks in Addis Ababa.
According to the latest United Nations statistics, the conflict in Sudan has so far displaced about three million people, including about 700,000 who have crossed the border into neighboring countries.
It is noteworthy that, since April 15, violent and large-scale clashes have been taking place between the Sudanese army forces and the Rapid Support Forces, in separate areas of Sudanese territory, most of which are concentrated in the capital, Khartoum, leaving thousands dead and wounded among civilians.