Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands
Sheikh Qassem: The agreement came because we held fast, empowered by our vision, our faith, our will, our people, our patriotism, and our unwavering attachment to our land
Sheikh Qassem: People of Might Battle was a confrontation by a modest force, incomparable to the enemy's strength, but it was noble in spirit, brimming with courage, resolve, and unwavering faith in victory
Sheikh Qassem: Today, Lebanon is under an Israeli aerial occupation
Sheikh Qassem: The project of "Israel" came crashing into the defenses of the People of Might Battle

Trump, Maduro held phone call last week amid US military buildup: NYT

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: The New York Times
  • 28 Nov 2025 23:46
3 Min Read

US President Trump spoke with his Venezuelan counterpart amid rising military tensions in a rare call that may signal a shift in the US-Venezuela strategy.

Listen
  • x
  • Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro brandishes a sword said to have belonged to independence hero Simon Bolivar during a civic-military event at the military academy in Caracas, Venezuela, Tuesday, November 25, 2025. (AP Photo/Ariana Cubillos)
    Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro brandishes a sword said to have belonged to independence hero Simon Bolivar during a civic-military event at the military academy in Caracas, Venezuela, Tuesday, November 25, 2025 (AP)

US President Donald Trump spoke by phone last week with Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro, discussing a possible meeting, multiple sources familiar with the matter told The New York Times.

The conversation took place amid a major US military buildup near Venezuela and increasing pressure from Washington, including sanctions and terrorism designations.

Two individuals confirmed the call occurred late last week and included US Secretary of State Marco Rubio. The discussion reportedly involved the possibility of a meeting between the two leaders in the United States, though no plans have been finalized.

Read more: China urges US to lift Venezuela sanctions, end interference

Call precedes US 'terrorism designation' for Maduro

The phone call came just days before the US officially designated Maduro as the leader of the Cartel de los Soles, a group Washington labels a "foreign terrorist organization." The designation reflects the Trump administration’s claims that Venezuelan military officers have long been involved in drug trafficking operations, charges Venezuela has consistently denied.

Washington has maintained a strong military posture in the Caribbean, publicly justifying the deployment as a counter-narcotics operation.

However, US officials have also signaled the intent to remove Maduro from office, potentially through the use of force.

Read more: Venezuela airline ban escalates amid US tensions, FAA NOTAM

Neither the White House nor the Venezuelan government has officially commented on the phone call. However, two individuals close to the Maduro government confirmed to the New York Times that the call occurred, speaking anonymously as they were not authorized to discuss the matter publicly.

Read more: Petro: Oil is key to US pressure on Venezuela, not drug trade

Trump’s dual-track strategy: threats and dialogue

Trump has a history of using parallel strategies in dealing with adversaries, combining diplomatic outreach with threats of military action. While the administration continues to threaten Maduro’s government, it also appears to be exploring backchannel talks.

Over the past year, the Trump administration has conducted missile strikes on Venezuelan vessels it claims were involved in drug trafficking. On Thursday, Trump announced the next phase of operations would include land-based missions, stating, “The land is easier, but that’s going to start very soon,” during remarks at Mar-a-Lago.

No confirmation on the nature of the vessels in the Caribbean Sea has been made public.

The US has deployed an aircraft carrier strike group near Venezuela, flown bomber aircraft over the region, and developed covert action plans targeting the Maduro government. These actions followed the 2024 Venezuelan election, which the US government rejected as fraudulent.

Despite intensifying pressure, the Trump administration may be using direct talks to create a possible off-ramp to avoid military escalation, though officials continue to insist that any resolution must involve Maduro’s departure from power.

Read more:  Maduro: War on Venezuela aims at regime change and oil theft

  • Donald Trump
  • Nicolas Maduro
  • Venezuela
  • United States
  • Venezuela oil
  • US military buildup
  • US aggression on Venezuela

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
A boy tries to stand near missiles displayed in the National Aerospace Park of the Revolutionary Guard, just outside Tehran, Iran, Thursday, Nov. 13, 2025 (AP)

Key Israeli sites destroyed, nuclear docs moved to Tehran: Minister

  • Politics
  • 22 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
National Guard are seen after reports of two National Guard soldiers shot near the White House in Washington, Wednesday, November 26, 2025. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)
Politics

NG shooting suspect belonged to CIA 'Zero Units' in Afghanistan

This satellite image taken by Airbus DS shows objects on the ground at the Saudi Maternity Hospital in el-Fasher, Sudan (AP)
Politics

Inside the RSF’s brutal campaign against El Fasher’s healthcare

Lebanon urges UN action as 'Israel' builds new walls inside its border
Politics

Lebanon files UN complaint over Israeli concrete walls inside border

UN slams 'Israel' over Gaza torture reports, urges full investigation
Politics

UN slams 'Israel' over Gaza torture reports, urges full investigation

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS