Trump officials say Europe secretly blocking end to Ukraine war: Axios
Trump aides accuse Europe of undermining Ukraine peace efforts while publicly backing the US.
-
President Donald Trump, center, walks in the Cross Hall with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, followed by several European leaders at the White House, Monday, Aug 18, 2025, in Washington (AP)
Senior White House officials claim that while some European leaders are publicly endorsing US President Donald Trump’s push to end the war in Ukraine, they are privately undermining progress made since the Alaska summit.
According to sources who spoke to Axios, the White House has tasked the Treasury Department with drafting a list of potential sanctions that European nations could impose on Russia. Among the measures under discussion are a complete halt to oil and gas purchases, as well as secondary tariffs on India and China similar to those already enforced by the US.
Trump aides argue that two weeks after his summit with Russian President Vladimir Putin, little has been achieved toward peace. They place the blame not on Trump or Putin, but on European allies they accuse of fueling unrealistic expectations for Kiev.
A senior White House official told Axios, “The Europeans don’t get to prolong this war and backdoor unreasonable expectations, while also expecting America to bear the cost. If Europe wants to escalate, that will be their choice, but it risks snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.”
Europe pressures Kiev to wait, Trump pushes for direct talks
Trump’s team claims, according to Axios, that European leaders are encouraging Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky to hold out for what they call a “better deal", a stance the White House views as worsening the war.
US officials note that Britain and France have been more constructive, but they accuse other major European states of expecting Washington to shoulder the costs while contributing little themselves. One senior official remarked, “Getting to a deal is the art of the possible. Some Europeans continue to operate in a fairy-tale land that ignores the fact it takes two to tango.”
Trump has repeatedly stressed that a direct Putin-Zelensky summit is the necessary next step. However, Moscow has so far refused, and Kiev has rejected talks about territorial concessions unless Russia shows willingness to negotiate.
Frustration inside the White House
The lack of progress has visibly irritated Trump. During a recent Cabinet meeting, he expressed exasperation, “Everybody is posturing. It’s all bullshit.”
White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt told reporters on Thursday, “Perhaps both sides are not ready to end it themselves. The president wants it to end, but the leaders of these two countries must want it as well.”
Meanwhile, Russian airstrikes on Kiev and Ukrainian drone attacks on Russian oil refineries underscore the deepening conflict rather than any move toward peace.
European response to US criticism
European officials pushed back against US claims. A senior European figure involved in the talks told Axios there is “no gap” between their discussions with Trump and their actual strategy, insisting European states are already preparing new sanctions against Russia.
Despite this, some US officials privately view Europe as a growing obstacle, even though Trump held what appeared to be a cordial meeting with European leaders and Zelensky just weeks ago.
On Friday, Trump’s envoy Steve Witkoff met Zelensky’s chief of staff Andriy Yermak in New York, Axios reported. They discussed the possibility of a Putin-Zelensky meeting, and Yermak extended an invitation for Witkoff to visit Kiev. However, sources familiar with the talks told Axios that no significant progress was achieved.