Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Al Mayadeen's correspondent in South Lebanon: Israeli occupation targets bulldozer working to remove rubble of destroyed home in Shebaa.
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands

Tunisia court overturns rejection of Znaidi's bid for presidency

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Agencies
  • 29 Aug 2024 20:06
2 Min Read

Tunisian Administrative Court spokesperson Faycel Bouguerra says the court's decision was final and could not be appealed.

Listen
  • x
  • Tunisia
    Tunisian former health minister Mondher Zenaidi (L) delivers his documents for his candidacy for the Tunisian presidential election board in Tunis, Tunisia on September 22, 2014. (Anadolu Agency/Getty Images)

The Tunisian Administrative Court has overturned the rejection of a former Minister's bid for the presidency, allowing him to participate in the upcoming election on October 6.

Mondher Znaidi, 73, a prominent opponent of incumbent President Kais Saied, was initially among 14 candidates disqualified by the High Independent Authority for Elections (ISIE) due to insufficient ballot signatures.

Court spokesperson Faycel Bouguerra announced that the administrative court accepted Znaidi's appeal, overturning the ISIE's decision. He informed Reuters that the court's decision was final and could not be appealed.

Znaidi, a former minister who served under the late President Zine El Abidine Ben Ali, who was ousted in the 2011 mass protests, currently resides in Paris. He has expressed his intention to "rebuild Tunisia, unite all Tunisians and end years of division that Saied sowed."

Earlier in the week, the court had also granted an appeal by another disqualified candidate, former minister Abdellatif Mekki.

The ISIE has not yet confirmed Znaidi's candidacy, with a final list of candidates expected next week.

Farouk Bouasker, head of the ISIE, told local media that the authority's council would review these rulings before making a decision on the final candidate list, taking into account the judicial judgments.

So far, the ISIE has approved only three candidates, including former parliamentarian Zouhair Maghzaoui and businessman Ayachi Zammel, who will challenge Saied.

The incumbent president, who was elected in 2019 and later consolidated power in 2021, is seeking a second term. Many of his political opponents are currently imprisoned or facing prosecution.

In another development, the court rejected on Thursday an appeal by Abir Moussi, a jailed presidential hopeful and vocal critic of Saied.

Human Rights Watch last week reported that Tunisian authorities "have prosecuted, convicted or imprisoned at least eight prospective candidates" for the October election

Tunisia was "gearing up for a presidential election amid increased repression of dissent and free speech, without crucial checks and balances on President Saied's power," HRW indicated.

Read more: Tunisia's Saied replaces ministers in sudden reshuffle

  • Kais Saied
  • Tunisia

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS