Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
Pope Leo XIV: Peacemakers do not flee, but dare to stay even if it costs them some sacrifice.
The Pope to the Lebanese: You are a diverse country and a community made up of communities united by one language, the language of hope, which has allowed you to start anew.
Pope Leo XIV to the Lebanese: You are a people who do not give up, but a people who persevere in the face of difficulties and know how to be reborn.
Al Mayadeen's correspondent in South Lebanon: Israeli occupation targets bulldozer working to remove rubble of destroyed home in Shebaa.
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options

Ukrainian shelling cuts off Zaporozhye NPP power line

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Agencies
  • 3 Sep 2022 22:38
  • 2 Shares
4 Min Read

The Energodar authorities say specialists are working to restart a power line at the Zaporozhye NPP that was damaged as a result of Ukrainian shelling.

  • x
  • Zaporozhye NPP
    Zaporozhye NPP (Archive)

The city of Energodar authorities announced Saturday that the electricity supply from the Zaporozhye nuclear power plant (NPP) - Europe's largest NPP - to the areas controlled by the Kiev regime was cut due to a malfunction caused by Ukrainian shelling. 

The city authorities told Sputnik that specialists are working to restart a power line damaged as a result of shelling by the Ukrainian forces, adding that the damage was detected in lines 330 and 750.

The Energodar authorities explained that experts at the site say that the current that feeds the Kiev-controlled areas has been oscillating and disrupted due to technical malfunctions.

For its part, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) said that the Zaporozhye NPP had been disconnected from its last remaining main power line to the grid and is now relying on a reserve line.

In a statement, the agency said that the NPP "has once again lost the connection to its last remaining main external power line, but the facility is continuing to supply electricity to the grid through a reserve line."

The agency pointed out that, "Less than 48 hours after Director General Rafael Mariano Grossi on Thursday established the presence of the IAEA Support and Assistance Mission to ZaporizhzhIa (ISAMZ) at the facility in southern Ukraine, the Agency's experts were told by senior Ukrainian staff that the ZNPP's fourth operational 750 Kilovolt (kV) power line was down. The three others were lost earlier during the conflict."

"One reactor is still operating and producing electricity both for cooling and other essential safety functions at the site and for households, factories and others through the grid."

Ukraine troops, mercenaries fail in taking control of NPP

Earlier, Russia's Ministry of Defense confirmed that Ukraine made another attempt to take over the Zaporozhye NPP on Friday. More than 40 motor boats, divided into two groups, carried over 150 Ukrainian special operations forces in addition to foreign mercenaries. 

According to the ministry, the troops tried to land on the coast of the Kakhovka dam not far from Energodar where the NPP is located. 

Quickly detected by the Russian forces, the troops were targeted by Su-30 jets and Ka-52 attack helicopters, sinking around 20 boats. As the surviving troops were retreating, they were targeted by Russian artillery.

Moscow reported the deaths of 47 Ukrainian service personnel, including 10 foreign mercenaries, and at least 20 wounded. 

The ministry said that despite the presence of IAEA representatives, the Kiev regime once again attempted to seize the Zaporozhye NPP.

The latest purported failed Ukrainian operation came briefly two days after Kiev forces reportedly attempted to take the Zaporozhye NPP shortly before a team of IAEA specialists, including the organization's chief, Rafael Grossi, arrived at the facility for an inspection.

The latest attacks occurred after the main IAEA delegation left, despite Grossi's claim that six of the agency's specialists remained in Energodar. Four of them will return after the weekend, while two will remain at the NPP to maintain a "permanent presence".

According to the Russian military, the unsuccessful September 1 operation aimed at seizing the NPP and using UN nuclear watchdog personnel as "human shields" to sustain control over the facility.

On Friday, Ukraine claimed it shelled a Russian base in Energodar, destroying three artillery systems as well as an ammunition depot.

  • Zaporozhye NPP
  • Russia
  • IAEA
  • Energodar
  • Ukraine
  • Zaporozhye
Russia & NATO

Russia & NATO

As the Draconian Western-led sanctions on Russia exacerbate the economic crisis worldwide, and as Russian troops gain more ground despite the influx of military aid into Ukraine, exposing US direct involvement in bio-labs spread across Eastern Europe and the insurgence of neo-Nazi groups… How will things unfold?

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS