Al Mayadeen English

  • Ar
  • Es
  • x
Al Mayadeen English

Slogan

  • News
    • Politics
    • Economy
    • Sports
    • Arts&Culture
    • Health
    • Miscellaneous
    • Technology
    • Environment
  • Articles
    • Opinion
    • Analysis
    • Blog
    • Features
  • Videos
    • NewsFeed
    • Video Features
    • Explainers
    • TV
    • Digital Series
  • Infographs
  • In Pictures
  • • LIVE
News
  • Politics
  • Economy
  • Sports
  • Arts&Culture
  • Health
  • Miscellaneous
  • Technology
  • Environment
Articles
  • Opinion
  • Analysis
  • Blog
  • Features
Videos
  • NewsFeed
  • Video Features
  • Explainers
  • TV
  • Digital Series
Infographs
In Pictures
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Asia-Pacific
  • Europe
  • Latin America
  • MENA
  • Palestine
  • US & Canada
BREAKING
IRGC sources tell Al Mayadeen that reports of Iranian missile strikes on northern Iraq are false, calling them rumors spread by enemy-linked media.
Trump: Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirety'
AFP: Ukraine behind attack on Russian 'shadow fleet' tankers in Black Sea
Sheikh Qassem: We, our allies, the honorable in our nation, our people, and our army will never accept being subservient to the US or 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: They must despair, for whatever they do, this people cannot be defeated or broken, and we shall neither fall nor yield
Sheikh Qassem: Threats neither advance nor delay matters, yet the possibility of war or its absence exists because 'Israel' and the US are weighing their options
Sheikh Qassem: All these threats are simply a form of political pressure after a whole year of efforts proved ineffective
Sheikh Qassem: 'Israel's' 'servants' in Lebanon are few, but they cause problems by obstructing the country’s stability, growth, and liberation alongside the US and 'Israel'
Sheikh Qassem: Weapons block 'Israel’s' project, and anyone seeking disarmament plays into 'Israel’s' hands
Sheikh Qassem: The agreement came because we held fast, empowered by our vision, our faith, our will, our people, our patriotism, and our unwavering attachment to our land

Ukrainian troops running low on ammunition, abandoning their positions

  • By Al Mayadeen English
  • Source: Politico
  • 5 Feb 2023 17:13
  • 1 Shares
5 Min Read

Politico reports that some Ukrainian troops even "rebelled against commanders' orders, gotten drunk, or misbehaved."

  • x
  • Ukrainian soldiers prepare a US-supplied M777 howitzer in Kherson region, Ukraine, Jan. 9, 2023. (AP)
    Ukrainian soldiers prepare a US-supplied M777 howitzer in Kherson region, Ukraine, Jan. 9, 2023. (AP)

Shortly after Western allies pledged more precision rockets and missile systems to Ukraine, Politico reported citing a Ukrainian army officer that Ukrainian troops are forced to evacuate their positions owing to a lack of ammunition or commanders' reluctance to relieve forces, while soldiers seek to escape "senseless death".

The officer, who recently left the frontline near the city of Bakhmut, said, "Sometimes abandonment of positions becomes the only way to save personnel from senseless death. If they [the military leadership] cannot deliver ammunition or [relieve troops], when you sit in the trenches for several days without sleep or rest, your combat value goes to zero."

The officer stated that military indiscipline among Ukrainian troops was caused by weak command and pressure placed on Ukrainian forces who are outnumbered by the Russian army.

Earlier today, the founder of the Russian military company Wagner Group, Yevgeny Prigozhin, which is fighting in the war in Ukraine, said on Sunday that battles for the city of Bakhmut, also known as Artyomovsk, are being fought for each street and house.

Bakhmut, located north of Donetsk, has been a battleground for months. During the war in Ukraine, it served as a critical transportation hub for Ukrainian troops stationed in Donbass.

Earlier on Friday, Prigozhin announced that the town of Mykolaivka in the Donetsk People's Republic (DPR) had been taken under control.

It seems that projecting the ultimate outcome of the war is not challenging, as the Russian army gains ground. Meanwhile, the Ukrainian soldiers are reportedly "threatening commanders, consuming alcohol, questioning orders, and many other violations."

A question also raises itself: Where did all the weapons go?

More and more weapons!!

The Pentagon announced, on Friday, a new rocket-propelled precision bomb that may nearly increase Kiev's strike range against the Russians as part of a new $2.2 billion US arms deal for Ukraine.

Ground-launched small-diameter bombs (GLSDB), a weapon with a maximum range of 150 kilometers, are also part of the new package, according to Pentagon Spokesperson Pat Ryder. These bombs pose a threat to Russian troops and depots that are located far from the front lines.

However, "the delivery of the GLSDB likely won't be for several months due to contracting, production, and delivery timelines," said Pentagon spokesperson Lt Col Garron Garn, refusing to specify how many would be delivered.

Concurrently, Italy and France have agreed to purchase 700 Aster-30 anti-aircraft missiles for SAMP/T antimissile systems to be supplied to Kiev.

The weapon, which was developed and manufactured by the European consortium Eurosam, can reportedly intercept and neutralize the full spectrum of air threats, as per media reports. This includes missiles within a radius of 25 kilometers (15.5 miles), as well as aircraft within 100 kilometers.

Since the start of the war in Ukraine, Italy has already provided Kiev with five packages of military supplies worth about 1 billion euros, Italian Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani said earlier this month. 

On Tuesday, the Italian parliament announced it passed a decree to continue supplying lethal weapons to Kiev in 2023.

A sixth package of military supplies to Ukraine is currently underway, which will include air defense system Samp/T with ammunition, drones of Israeli design, as well as heavy artillery equipment, Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera reported on Thursday.

On his account, Ukrainian Defense Minister Oleksiy Reznikov, who had pleaded for the weapons, expressed his gratitude, claiming the systems would "help us save thousands of lives" from Russian attacks.

Kiev is also asking for fighter jets. 

It has already secured pledges from the West for deliveries of modern battle tanks and, after months of hesitation, Germany authorized the delivery of Leopard 1 tanks.

The answer might be corruption, which is reportedly a major source of concern in Ukraine. It is worth noting that Kiev has lately sacked top officials in connection with corruption charges, with raids this week on a political oligarch and a former interior minister.

Corruption swept Ukraine long before the beginning of the war. Today, corruption has Kiev by the throat especially as hundreds of millions of dollars in weapons and aid stream into the country and with the cost of reconstruction activities anticipated to be in the billions. Furthermore, many have been warning that foreign weapons being supplied to Ukraine are sold on the black market, most notably in Africa.

  • Ukrainian forces
  • Russia
  • Ukrainian army
  • Ukraine

Most Read

13 elite Israeli troops were wounded in a confrontations in Beit Jinn, Syria.

13 elite Israeli troops wounded in confrontations in southern Syria

  • West Asia
  • 28 Nov 2025
Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah announces the martyrdom of commander Haitham Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham al-Tabatabai

Hezbollah publishes biography of martyred leader Haitham Tabatabai

  • Politics
  • 23 Nov 2025
Hezbollah releases the names of the four martyred with Tabatabai

Hezbollah releases the names of the 4 martyred alongside Tabatabai

  • West Asia
  • 24 Nov 2025

Coverage

All
In Five

Read Next

All
U.S. F-35 fighter jets fly over José Aponte de la Torre Airport in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, Friday, September 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Alejandro Granadillo)
Politics

Venezuela condemns US 'colonial-style' threat to national airspace

Palestinians walk through the destruction left by the Israeli air and ground offensive in Gaza City, Saturday, Nov. 29, 2025. (AP)
Politics

Gaza death toll exceeds 70,000 as Israeli crimes continue

Ireland removes name of former Israeli president from Dublin park
Europe

Ireland removes name of Ex. Israeli regime president from Dublin park

Gazan brothers Jomaa and Fadi Abu Assi, 8 and 9, in an undated photo (Social media)
Politics

Gaza: Two brothers, aged 8 and 9, killed by 'Israel' on their way home

Al Mayadeen English

Al Mayadeen is an Arab Independent Media Satellite Channel.

All Rights Reserved

  • x
  • Privacy Policy
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Authors
Android
iOS